Absolutely, Microsoft rocks!!!

Story: Windows has 'fewer flaws' than LinuxTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
dinotrac

Aug 20, 2007
6:58 AM EDT
Glad to see that the boys at Redmond are getting their due.

>Applications not installed by default, such as Microsoft Office, were not counted.

Of course not. Gosh, if you choose to put software on your machine, you should be saddled with the risk. If Red Hat puts out a fully usable system instead of a naked little platform, that's really their stupid choice, isn't it?

>Jones's enterprise figures painted a similar picture, showing fewer than 40 fixes for Windows Server 2003, while Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 Server had more than 100 vulnerabilities patched and Novell's SuSE Linux Enterprise server had roughly 70.

Man!! Can't believe those Linux guys are so busy fixing problems. The key is to fix only those things you can't get away with ignoring, or to sneak 3 fixes in on one patch.

>The report also does not mention vulnerabilities that were or are currently being actively exploited, an area where Microsoft continues to be far more prone than its competitors.

Which is yet another reason not to fix any more problems than you absolutely have to.

Microsoft proves once again, that they are smarter than those Linux vendors.

Take that, penguin people.

tuxchick

Aug 20, 2007
7:25 AM EDT
wow dino, that's the best scathe you've ever written. I am persuaded- I'm running out right now to get Vista and install it on all my PCs. Dumb old Linux anyway, what was I thinking.
dinotrac

Aug 20, 2007
7:52 AM EDT
>what was I thinking.

Sorry, TC, having problems....

Recently browsed copy of LJ, including ads. Didn't know women .... thought...or were people.

Will get back to you when brain cells unfreeze.
softwarejanitor

Aug 20, 2007
10:10 AM EDT
That made me laugh...
hkwint

Aug 20, 2007
2:47 PM EDT
Quoting:Will get back to you when brain cells unfreeze...

Screw El-Gore, that's the best reason to stop global warming I heard as of yet.
nalf38

Aug 20, 2007
7:17 PM EDT
A "study" in idiocy, maybe, but this has nothing to do with actual facts. If a standard RHEL or SLED installation comes with OpenOffice, video/audio/graphics editing programs, PDF viewers, scanner / photo management software, CD burning software, download managers, and Windows comes with almost none of that, then of course RHEL and SLED vulnerabilities are going to be greater. But it's obviously not fair to compare a zero-day patch in Vista to a few patches in, say, Kooka.
jacog

Aug 21, 2007
1:02 AM EDT
We should have a fully functional parody distro called Pasta and make many not so subtle stabs at Microsoft within it. You know, Genuine Advantage pokes, and things like 'for your convenience we have put a back door on your system so we can snoop' etc.
dinotrac

Aug 21, 2007
1:04 AM EDT
>We should have a fully functional parody distro called Pasta

Too late to the game, pal. Somebody's already done us one better. Not only have they done a complete Windows parody, they've snookered a bunch of people into actually using the thing.

It's called Vista.
jacog

Aug 21, 2007
1:08 AM EDT
Heh. Any numbers on how many suckers they have already?
dinotrac

Aug 21, 2007
4:06 AM EDT
>Heh. Any numbers on how many suckers they have already?

Don't know, but it's like deranged psychopathic killers: one is too many.
theboomboomcars

Aug 21, 2007
5:32 AM EDT
I have been thinking about this since I read the article and through the comments and have come to the conclusion that the title should be "Windows has 'fewer fixed flaws' than Linux. Since they didn't take into account the unfixed vulnerabilities, and even more important unfixed exploited vulnerabilities.

If nothing else it was good for a chuckle.
henke54

Aug 21, 2007
5:50 AM EDT
PC Magazine Editor Throws in the Towel on Vista :

Quoting:Take my media center PC, for example. It's supposed to serve up photos, videos, and music. Instead, it often simply drops off the network for absolutely no reason. Chip Van Winkle might be able to see it, but Compuccino can't.

Another complaint: With XP, wireless network connectivity out of sleep mode was virtually instantaneous. Now it can take up to 30 seconds to reconnect, even when my systems do wake up. That's in a trusted network, a trusted zone, and a trusted system. And why does it take so long for the dialog box to pop up after I right-click on the network tray icon? Vista has replaced XP's quick reaction time with molasses. I'm always wondering if something's wrong.

I could go on and on about the lack of drivers, the bizarre wake-up rituals, the strange and nonreproducible system quirks, and more. But I won't bore you with the details. The upshot is that even after nine months, Vista just ain't cutting it. I definitely gave Microsoft too much of a free pass on this operating system: I expected it to get the kinks worked out more quickly. Boy, was I fooled! If Microsoft can't get Vista working, I might just do the unthinkable: I might move to Linux.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2171472,00.asp
Bob_Robertson

Aug 21, 2007
10:13 AM EDT
> If Microsoft can't get Vista working, I might just do the unthinkable: I might move to Linux.

The marketing terms here are "might" and "unthinkable". I believe the technical term for that is "damning with faint praise".
rijelkentaurus

Aug 21, 2007
10:59 AM EDT
Quoting: "damning with faint praise".

Yeah, as if to say "Even Linux is better than this crap." Hardly a ringing endorsement...but progress is progress.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!