OK, I'm lost (FC5?)

Story: Installing Fedora on Toshiba Satellite A135-S2246Total Replies: 0
Author Content
Aladdin_Sane

Aug 24, 2007
2:25 PM EDT
I like Fedora 7 fine, use it every day. Since Fedora is community-distributed, what has installing Fedora Core 5 have to do with anything?

Did I miss something about why FC5? Since Fedora 7 runs from and/or installs from, a Live CD, is that not a better choice to talk about at this late Aug 2007 date?

Also, the article's additional features #1 is n/a to Linux: It diagnoses to a hardware failure of the replacement memory.

I could see someone wondering about older distributions for experimentation and fun: FC1 would make a good test, since it was last of the Fedora/Red Hat line to run a 2.4 kernel.

In an enterprise setting, sometimes a server has to be locked to a certain distribution or kernel. While annoying sometimes for server admins, portables can't by their intermittent nature on any network be engineered with this limitation.

The article notes having to use Windows to fix un-updated, thus broken, communications hardware. I find this...extremely unfortunate. That would be a deal-breaker were I considering that hardware.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!