car fans check it out

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 19
Author Content
tuxchick

Aug 26, 2007
9:43 PM EDT
http://bratgrrl.com/caddy.jpg

I saw this today in Prineville. It's a '76 Cadillac Mirage. Only 100 were ever made. 500 cubes of Caddy power. Wheee!
Sander_Marechal

Aug 26, 2007
10:06 PM EDT
It looks really sweet, but probably starts a small whirlpool in the gas tank when you fire up the engine :-)
azerthoth

Aug 26, 2007
10:07 PM EDT
You know your using Beryl too much when your first instinct is to hold down the middle mouse button to try and rotate the picture.

Very pretty, never knew caddy did the el camino thing, even for a little bit.
tracyanne

Aug 27, 2007
1:07 AM EDT
That's some ute.
dinotrac

Aug 27, 2007
3:22 AM EDT
Wow!

I'd forgotten all about those. Made to be the Boss's El Camino.

All of those old Caddies seem so much cooler now than they did back then.
Bob_Robertson

Aug 27, 2007
7:36 AM EDT
I remember seeing one of these used in a photo advertisement for a very high-end CB radio antenna. Guy with a clean cowboy hat and a near-suit, with a bale of hay in the back.

As you notice, the image stuck. No idea what the brand they were trying to sell, though. :^)

tuxchick

Aug 27, 2007
8:41 AM EDT
I talked to the owner. It's his everyday car and he doesn't show it. He's always liked the El Camino and Ranchero, but they were too small for him. He's a big rangy guy about 6'5". No problem with head or leg room in the Mirage!
gus3

Aug 27, 2007
9:08 AM EDT
TC, I noticed the car was parked in the handicapped parking space. What handicap(s) does he have, and does the converted Caddy help alleviate the difficulties it brings?
tuxchick

Aug 27, 2007
9:41 AM EDT
Gus, I don't know. He walking OK, but slowly, and I wasn't going to ask "so, what's yer problem, Bud"! Could be any number of things- arthritis, heart problems, breathing problems, who knows. As far as what the does the Caddy help, I'd say ease of getting in and out, and morale :)

Aladdin_Sane

Aug 27, 2007
10:14 AM EDT
Cool, but I have the same impulse as Sander. Gas probably cost more than the car.

But the real question: Does it run Linux?
Sander_Marechal

Aug 27, 2007
11:09 AM EDT
Quoting:But the real question: Does it run Linux?

It's more complicated than my toaster, so I bet it does :-)
tuxchick

Aug 27, 2007
11:13 AM EDT
Ohh you whippersnappers. This fine vehicle does not contain so much as microchip. It does, however, contain enough steel to build an office tower.
number6x

Aug 27, 2007
11:21 AM EDT
GM started to use solid state distributors in its regular car right around this time. My '77 chevy impala had a solid state distributor instead of a rotor.

Cadilalc often got new technology before other GM cars, but my guess would be that the '76 still had a rotor in it's distributor cap. It was tried and true.

Part of the reason for the change came from the implementation of pollution controls mandated in '77.

Nice shot TC, wich camera did you use?
NoDough

Aug 27, 2007
11:25 AM EDT
As a teenager, I drove my dad's '76 Caddy with a 501 engine. It got about 10MPG. It also put away its share of Mustangs and Camaros. :)
jdixon

Aug 27, 2007
11:44 AM EDT
> As a teenager, I drove my dad's '76 Caddy with a 501 engine. It got about 10MPG.

I bet. My mom's Chrysler 300 with a 440 would get around 18 or 19 on the highway, but that dropped to 10 or so in town.
tuxchick

Aug 27, 2007
11:55 AM EDT
mmm, watch the needle on the fuel gauge plummet when those other two barrels kick in.

number6x, that was taken with my hawt new Canon 30D using the 24-105mm f/4 L lens. The photo is from a .jpg created by the camera, and further wizened for the web with a quick scaling in Digikam. So it shrank from about 3 megs to 640k, which is still fat for a web image, but I was in a hurry. That lens has become my favorite; it goes with me everywhere.
jdixon

Aug 27, 2007
11:57 AM EDT
> ...watch the needle on the fuel gauge plummet when those other two barrels kick in.

Well, yeah. That 10 miles/gallon would drop to more like 5 if you kicked in the four barrel. Not that I would know anything about that. :)
dinotrac

Aug 27, 2007
2:42 PM EDT
>mmm, watch the needle on the fuel gauge plummet when those other two barrels kick in.

My first ride was a '65 Pontiac Bonneville convertible. Only a 389, but at least it was HO. And yup, those 4-barrels were something.

Surprising economy if you feather-footed, baZOOM if you didn't, with great sucking sound, literally from up front and figuratively from the gas tank.

ColonelPanik

Aug 27, 2007
2:52 PM EDT
Caddy sold those as "Flower Cars" to funeral homes. Put the coffin in the back surrounded by flowers and take that last ride. Used to be that you could get them used for cheap but They are not cheap now.

That was fun, thanx.
tuxchick

Aug 27, 2007
6:17 PM EDT
My dad's take on it:

"Great design. Easy to take along a large auxiliary tank for those occasions when you want to not only get there, but also return home."

You cannot post until you login.