Animated favicon.ico

Story: Microsoft Set for Lock-in-backed Hijack (and Novell Helps It)Total Replies: 2
Author Content
Aladdin_Sane

Aug 27, 2007
7:59 AM EDT
rant

Gee, what a great way to get me to not read your content. What'll they think of next?

favicon.ico, the icon for a web site, is shown in the tab for Iceape/Seamonkey, and at the URL address line.

I have animations set to "once" in my browser so I can read UF past the nag strips. Other GIF animations typically end in a few seconds.

But this one never seems to stop; probably a bug. So I leave the story unread, since I can't concentrate on it with some little moving thing in the corner of my peripheral vision.

Animated ads are bad enough (and FlashBlock is the greatest), but this showing off for the sake of showing off is now very old and boring: I thought it was cool when I programmed animations on a 4k TRS-80 30 years ago. It's 30 years later. I'm not impressed any more.

30 years ago I was 11 years old. I would say something like, "Look, mom, what I can do!" Animations are juvenile attempts at coolness, and only impress children.

Gee, I have 15 tabs open right now, what if they all had little animations on them? That would really be helpful toward communicating content, wouldn't it?

Further, if animations are good, why not animate the whole page, that would better, wouldn't it?

/rant
Bob_Robertson

Aug 27, 2007
8:03 AM EDT
Doesn't move in Konqueror. I agree, it would be annoying.

I agree with the article itself, however.
jdixon

Aug 27, 2007
8:07 AM EDT
> Gee, what a great way to get me to not read your content.

If the content is all you're after, just use lynx. It's amazing how many of the webs irritations disappear when you're using a text browser. :) I'm using it a lot less since we got broadband, but I still find it useful for some sites (of course, for some sites it doesn't work at all, especially those that insist on javascript based links).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!