Rumor: Google Cell Phone will have Linux, GPS, and Cheap

Story: Linux the fastest-growing smartphone OSTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
henke54

Aug 29, 2007
1:41 AM EDT
Quoting:Rumors are circulating on the new Google Phone thanks to Mark Hopkins, who claims to know the inside scroop from sources at Google.

According to his sources, the Google phone will be powered by a modified version of Linux kernal and will have GPS functionality built-in. The navigation will be used with Google Maps application.
http://www.laptoplogic.com/news/detail.php?id=3045
Abe

Aug 29, 2007
8:22 AM EDT
One can almost say with certainty that it will not be Windows (no brainner). So what else would be if it is not Linux based?

number6x

Aug 29, 2007
9:03 AM EDT
Symbian http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symbian_OS

A proprietary mobile phone OS developed by Nokia, Ericsson, Sony Ericsson, Siemens AG, Panasonic, and Samsung.

It currently runs on about 2/3rds of the 'smartphones' sold.
gus3

Aug 29, 2007
9:15 AM EDT
What about the source code?

Hold their feet to the fire early, or it will be a tough battle to get GPL compliance.
Abe

Aug 29, 2007
9:28 AM EDT
Quoting:Symbian A proprietary mobile phone OS developed by Nokia, Ericsson, Sony Ericsson, Siemens AG, Panasonic, and Samsung.
Possible but highly improbable.

To my knowledge, Google had no participation in Symbian and consequently no access to its internals. Google wants an OS that they can modify and tailor to their own business needs. They want control so they are not dependent on or like any one else. They can license it but that would be limiting to their freedom of advancement. I am not sure they can have that in Symbian.

Google is heavily Linux dependent and a supporter outfit with good resources. They also like the developer support Linux has. Then again, they might go with Symbian only if they don't want to hassle with the development process and want something quick. I doubt that is what they want.

number6x

Aug 29, 2007
10:38 AM EDT
Abe,

I agree. However Symbian is about the only other game in town. I don't think RIM is going to license their OS, and I agree that Google is not interested in Microsoft.

Synbian is willing to license, and would probably allow tweaking the OS just as AT&T allowed others to re-write Unix.

You asked for possibilities other than Linux, and I gave one.
techiem2

Aug 29, 2007
11:43 AM EDT
They could be running OpenMoko...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!