access hard drives?

Story: DIY Linux live CD -- the really easy way!Total Replies: 5
Author Content
right

Aug 30, 2007
8:49 AM EDT
Is this any different than other live-cd distros?
Sander_Marechal

Aug 30, 2007
10:48 AM EDT
By default? Yes. Most Live CD's do not automatically mount the hard drives. Usully only specialized distros do that (GParted, rescue disks).

Edit: Not that mounting disks is so hard these days with GIU tools.
Abe

Aug 30, 2007
10:59 AM EDT
Quoting:Is this any different than other live-cd distros?

I thought it was obvious. LiveCD has a pre-defined applications to install. This one is sort of building your own a la carte distro. You can specify what you want in the distro to install on your machine and possibly many other machines. Like in an Enterprise environment with thousands of machines that you want them to have the same fine selected applications.
techiem2

Aug 30, 2007
11:16 AM EDT
hmm.

It appears the generator is down...

I'd kinda like to try it out and see what it can do.
Steven_Rosenber

Aug 30, 2007
12:38 PM EDT
I pulled out my NimbleX 2007v.2 CD and booted it. As live CDs go, it's pretty nice. The pared-down KDE system is very fast, and it includes a version of KWord with working "typographical" quotes, which are sorely lacking in Slax's version of KWord (though Slackware itself gets it right). I see how you can install NimbleX to the hard drive, but the whole thing looks a bit kludgy.

Figuring out how to save your desktop parameters from the live-CD session would make NimbleX really useful. If you want something like Puppy or DSL but really want KDE, NimbleX is a great alternative.

I once tried the "make your own spin" version of NimbleX, but it didn't work.
techiem2

Aug 30, 2007
3:10 PM EDT
I just tried the make your own. It went fine until I told it to generate. It sat there for a while, then put up a message that I'd already made one today (rather odd) and can try again tomorrow. So obviously something is a bit flaky still.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!