How about them Germans

Story: German universities embrace LinuxTotal Replies: 21
Author Content
Abe

Aug 30, 2007
12:42 PM EDT
They are not going to stop rolling Linux until Windows is out of the door.

herzeleid

Aug 30, 2007
12:57 PM EDT
Das waere affengeil!
Sander_Marechal

Aug 30, 2007
1:10 PM EDT
Question in light of the new German anti-hacking-tool laws: Does Suse come with stuff like nmap installed?
herzeleid

Aug 30, 2007
1:50 PM EDT
> Question in light of the new German anti-hacking-tool laws: Does Suse come with stuff like nmap installed?

Yes of course, nmap. wireshark, tcpdump... I suppose if some have their way, even ping would have to be removed.

By the same logic, all automobiles should be confiscated, as they can clearly be used in connection with criminal actions, and have been so used in the past.
Abe

Aug 30, 2007
3:06 PM EDT
Quoting:Das waere affengeil!
That would be affengeil? What the heck is affengeil

Speak English please! :)

Sander_Marechal

Aug 30, 2007
3:48 PM EDT
split it up (affen-geil) and use google :-)
herzeleid

Aug 30, 2007
4:17 PM EDT
Here ya go -

http://books.google.com/books?id=4kMa_2reUU8C&pg=PA17&lpg=PA...

It's slang, basically it means "that would be really cool"
Abe

Aug 31, 2007
6:42 AM EDT
Quoting:"that would be really cool. vs. That would be ho*** ape"
A huge difference and sounds much more appropriate (Take your pick). No matter what language, slang is always amazing.

Thanks

herzeleid

Aug 31, 2007
7:47 AM EDT
> A huge difference and sounds much more appropriate (Take your pick). No matter what language, slang is always amazing.

Well, language is funny that way. Geil *can* mean horny, but the slang meaning is equivalent to what kids here mean when they say "cool" or "awesome". The "ape" just makes it even more so. A literal translation can miss the point entirely, you just have to know the meme.

The problem is worse with e.g. Chinese. You can look up the literal translation of 火退 and see the words "fire" and "leg" but never would you guess that it actually means "ham".

I rest my case.
wjl

Sep 01, 2007
9:10 AM EDT
Language is funny. We Germans are sometimes called "ze Germans", because most of us are not quite able to pronounce a correct English "th". OTOH, for Americans or Asians, a German "ü" (that's U-Umlaut), or the equivalent French "u", are almost impossible to pronounce correctly. When it comes to proverbs, it's getting even more difficult. You still could translate something like the German "den Wald vor lauter Bäumen nicht sehen" (to not see the wood because of the many trees), but other stuff like "Er ist schwer auf Draht" (translated word-by-word: "He is heavy on the wire"; meaning: "He is quite clever" get funny results and are often used by comedians. We like that stuff here mostly. And "affengeil" can even be topped with "oberaffentittenturbogeil", or something like that. Meaning: "uber-ape-tit-turbo-cool", for something waaayyy cool.
herzeleid

Sep 01, 2007
11:44 AM EDT
> "uber-ape-tit-turbo-cool", for something waaayyy cool.

Now, that is a very cool expression - mind if I use it in a .sig?
Bob_Robertson

Sep 01, 2007
1:38 PM EDT
I have to say, the German style of just packing it all into one word sure beats the American "hyphenated-word" or "scare quotes".

Unfortunately, most of what I know about German was learned because my Mom sang some German opera, and watching WW2 movies.

Oh, and PDQ Bach. "Black Forest Bluegrass" and "Einen klina nicht musika" which I'm certain to have misspelled terribly.
wjl

Sep 02, 2007
3:43 AM EDT
Just learned that the English-speaking are better in it than us Germans:

While we have Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitäten- hauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft as the longest word with just 79 characters, in English there's some word with 1185 characters. See Wikipedia about Acetylseryltyrosylseryliso...serine for a desription.

But yes, we Germans are somewhat famous for doing these things. And yes, herzeleid, take whatever you want as your .sig - this is not from me...
dinotrac

Sep 02, 2007
3:51 AM EDT
wjl -

You gottasticktwowordstogethertomakesomethingbigger - andthenstickanotherwordontheendofthatjustbecausey - youcanandthenstickyournosesupintheair - becauseyouhavethelongestword Germans just make me sick! Now, if you could just learn to say y'all, everything would be ok.

Hmmmm. Gutentag, y'all.
wjl

Sep 02, 2007
5:10 AM EDT
Hehe - sorry all

Just broke the formatting. At least in my IceWeasel...
techiem2

Sep 02, 2007
8:31 AM EDT
Broken here in firefox now too. :)

Abe

Sep 02, 2007
8:43 AM EDT
Quoting:Just broke the formatting.

That you did, but the text is there and you can see it by highlighting the text and paste it somewhere else.

Better yet, now we all got the picture, you can go back and edit your post by inserting spaces so it wouldn't be as one outrageously long German word. :)

Thanks,

Abe

Sep 02, 2007
8:46 AM EDT
Better yet, may be Dave wants to change the DIV element to be scrollable for future outrageously long German words.
Sander_Marechal

Sep 02, 2007
11:24 AM EDT
Trouble is, they're not using divs but tables.
wjl

Sep 02, 2007
1:03 PM EDT
Hmmm - editing doesn't work as expected.

While *my* messages is changed somewhat (tho not as I expected with all these inserted breaks), the others are not. Plus I cannot take back the links which I originally put around the words, but don't see anymore.

Maybe we should start a new thread, and forget about this one...
Abe

Sep 02, 2007
4:20 PM EDT
Quoting:Trouble is, they're not using divs but tables.
You are right, I just assumed and didn't look in Web Developer Toolbar.

If Dino would change his I bet that will take care of it.

Sander_Marechal

Sep 02, 2007
4:24 PM EDT
Yup.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!