13 reasons why Linux won't make it to a desktop near you

Story: 13 reasons why Linux won't make it to a desktop near youTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
ColonelPanik

Sep 13, 2007
4:49 AM EDT
"As it stands, it's marketing mayhem. "

w00t. Every thing about Linux is mayhem, if it is even that organized. This was the best What-is-Linux article ever.

techiem2

Sep 13, 2007
4:57 AM EDT
Quoting:Linux doesn't know about C, D and E drives and Windows will show up as sda1/dev or hda1/dev in the partitioning table.

I found this rather odd. Like drive letters are some inherent thing and Linux just "doesn't know about" them. Then there's the getting the dev entry names backwards... For an article trying to explain some of the confusion of a new user in Linux, this spot didn't help. Getting it right and a clear explanation of the filesystem would have have been nice.

Overall a fairly interesting look at things though.
tracyanne

Sep 13, 2007
5:28 AM EDT
Ahem, the bloke is a new Linux user.
dinotrac

Sep 13, 2007
6:47 AM EDT
I also enjoyed his little 8-piece article on his trips through Linux land. Worth a read.
Abe

Sep 13, 2007
7:24 AM EDT
Quoting:I also enjoyed his little 8-piece article...
I only read the article on DesktopLinux.com and enjoyed it very much too. At the beginning, I was skeptical, but by the end, I was impressed. I intend to read all 8-piece when I have time.

He doesn't bring many new points that some of us already know, but he did a very good job at summarizing and presenting them in a very effective fashion. I think he just made a good starting point to build on a web page just for new Linux adopter.

One thing he didn't address in this part, although it is extremely important, is the lack of some legacy Windows applications on Linux and how to find replacements or what tools are available to get around this issue. May be he did in another part that I didn't read yet.

Sander_Marechal

Sep 13, 2007
7:26 AM EDT
Quoting: # The makers of the product rely on word of mouth to attract more customers, but their customers only talk to each other.

So true.
dinotrac

Sep 13, 2007
7:34 AM EDT
>I intend to read all 8-piece when I have time.

I think you'll enjoy it. He writes from a rather rare position:

1. A long-time Windows user who is non-technical but quite competent 2. A good writer who makes the read enjoyable 3. Has the time and willingness to explore alternatives with an open eye 4. Seems to be quite honest in his assessment

Everyone will find things to quibble with --- youch!!! He made a reference to Mac being based on a flavor of Linux, but, overall, not bad at all.
Abe

Sep 13, 2007
8:03 AM EDT
After my post above, Although I have been running Linux for many years, I asked myself this question

Why aren't you running Linux Yet?

why not have a special forum titled as such instead of HOWTOs on Lxer.com or TuxProject.com?

I know there are answer to the questions Kim Brebach presented, or any one else for that matter, somewhere on the Internet, but non are presented as clearly and effectively as Kim presented them.

I think it would be highly effective if a forum is created where new comers to Linux can present their questions and answers by many of us in an honest objective fashion. It would be sort of Get the facts Linux style.

If there is solution(s), present them honestly and objectively. If there isn't, state so. It would be helpful for developers or distributors to address any deficiencies by taking the appropriate action.

There is a lot that can be done in this forum to help proliferate Linux.

How about it Dave?

dinotrac

Sep 13, 2007
8:11 AM EDT
> but non are presented as clearly and effectively as Kim presented them.

I agree. He did a great job.

I wonder if his writings are a sign that we have rounded a significant corner --

Desktop Linux has become good enough (and Vista bad enough!) that talented people of the non-geek persuasion can knock around enough to find things they like, provided their motivation is sufficient?

Maybe that will result in a lot more approachable help than we've got now. Right now, there is a wealth of info out there on the internet -- If you know enough to use it.
number6x

Sep 13, 2007
8:22 AM EDT
dino,

I think you are on to something there. Regular users are trying Linux and not rejecting it at the first speed bump they encounter.

It could be a combination of things...

• maturity of linux newbie friendly distros (they are better now)
  • expanding numbers of linux users (the author probably knows a few people who've made it work)
  • frustration with Vista has lowered the bar for what is acceptable (yeah Ubuntu isn't perfect, but Vista wouldn't recognize my printer even existed and I paid $299!)

Yeah. I agree a corner has been turned.
  • Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!