How to detect internal modems by Linux ?

Story: Microsoft's plans for XPTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
dba477

Sep 15, 2007
11:18 PM EDT
I am experiencing problems with detecting internal PCI modems (Acorp,Dlink) by CentOS 5, openSUSE 10.2, Debian Etch. Same issues with ADSL. I also cannot find any drivers for this devices on the Net. What kind of internal modem I have to buy to be lucky with CentOS 5 (for example) ?
Sander_Marechal

Sep 16, 2007
5:40 AM EDT
For ADSL, the easiest solution by far is to buy a stand alone modem. The kind that you hook to your PC through a network cable. I don't know about dial-in modems. Sorry.
techiem2

Sep 16, 2007
9:17 AM EDT
For dialup, I always found the best solution to be just a plain old classic serial modem. :) Of course, with companies being cheap and not including serial ports on many machines anymore.... As for internals...yeah...it's rather difficult to find a true hardware pci modem. Though supposedly some winmodems do work (with the right configuration I suppose), I've never tried one myself (last time I used a dialup modem was back when I was using a 486 with an ISA modem as my router in the mid 90s...).

As Sander said, for ADSL, a standard DSL modem that uses ethernet is the way to go. For dialup modems, a proper serial modem if possible, if not, you've got some research to do to find an internal one that will work in linux.

jdixon

Sep 16, 2007
10:09 AM EDT
Look here for assistance with Winmodems:

http://www.linmodems.org/

They seem to be the best source for help in finding drivers, et.al.

Added: Much of the information appears to be old and may be out of date, but the directions for determining your chipset and modem family are still what you need to get started.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!