Is this a joke?

Story: Linux and Windows interoperability with OpenXMLTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
jacog

Sep 17, 2007
3:28 AM EDT
The author says "nevertheless, it exists". Yes it does... it's called ODF. He also does not seem to realise that OOXML is not quite an "open" as it claims. I am amazed at how gullible this man is. Did he get paid by Microsoft to write this?
Sander_Marechal

Sep 17, 2007
3:39 AM EDT
Who knows?

Ahh, there's nothing like starting off the week with a nice piece of FUD to keep us all busy :-)
jacog

Sep 17, 2007
3:44 AM EDT
Sheer disbelief I tells ya. I cannot believe he believes what he's writing. Perhaps I am exhibiting signs of rabid fanboiism. Maybe I am just judging too harshly. There seems to be no place to comment on the article, so the best I could do to express disapproval was to rate his article poorly. Somehow it seems insufficient. D'oh!
Sander_Marechal

Sep 17, 2007
5:07 AM EDT
You can add comments on the last page (page 3) of the article: http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14473/53/1/2/
jacog

Sep 17, 2007
5:17 AM EDT
Oh silly me... it goes on for two more pages? Hoeveel kak kan een man skrywe?
Sander_Marechal

Sep 17, 2007
6:14 AM EDT
Quoting:kak ... skrywe

Are you from South Africa by chance?
jacog

Sep 17, 2007
6:32 AM EDT
Yep
Sander_Marechal

Sep 17, 2007
7:05 AM EDT
I thought so. I'm Dutch, so I thought I recognized the language :-)
jacog

Sep 17, 2007
7:30 AM EDT
"Gekabbelde Nederlands" I have heard it called by my ancestors up north. In another forum I visit we did an experiment where everyone in the thread had to speak using their own first language to see if the conversation could be somewhat coherent. Mostly it was fine actually... until the Serbs and Japanese started joining in.
dinotrac

Sep 17, 2007
7:46 AM EDT
Gosh --

All these Dutchies.

I learned my first valuable lesson about survival in a foreign country while working in Rotterdam.

Not wanting to be the "ugly American?", I tried to learn a little Dutch. Not easy - by the way - lots of "back of the throat" stuff there. The first thing I learned was how to ask directions to the hotel I was living in. Excuse the spelling and the language -- it's been many, many years, but it was something like "Ik vill ParkHotel".

On my first weekend in town, I got myself lost, and went up to a man on the street and asked, "Ik vill ParkHotel".

At that point, I learned a valuable lesson: If you ask for directions in Dutch, you will get directions in Dutch!! I couldn't understand a word he said! We both had a laugh at my expense and he then gave me good directions in English. Seems you chances of finding fluent English in the Netherlands are higher than finding it here in the States.

Sander_Marechal

Sep 17, 2007
7:58 AM EDT
Quoting:"Ik vill ParkHotel"

Close enough :-)

Quoting:Seems you chances of finding fluent English in the Netherlands are higher than finding it here in the States.

English is obligatory in schools here, starting at the 6th or 7th grade (age 9-11). It's a lot worse in e.g. France where it's optional. I used to date a French girl for a while. She spoke a bit of english but her parents and friends did not. As she had to work during the day (I was there on a 10 day vacation) I was stuck with her parents. I learned French in 10 days :-)

The funniest thing about the French is that they really do speak that language from 'Allo 'Allo. Worse, *you* have to speak it as well. If you try talking to them in normal English without the silly accent they won't understand you :-D
gus3

Sep 17, 2007
8:19 AM EDT
I formed an excellent Andalusian accent in 3 months, living in a flat with three Spaniards who didn't speak conversational English. I even managed to fool a medic into thinking I was from an adjacent province.

Oh, and I have an autographed Vicki Michelle pic. ;-)
dinotrac

Sep 17, 2007
9:26 AM EDT
>Close enough :-)

Well, he understood what I was asking! Glad I was in the Netherlands instead of France. It's the difference between a laugh and an appreciated effort vs. being berated for not doing more better.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!