Fidel Castro

Story: Cuba is preparing to quit Windows and avoid MicrosoftTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
nikkels

Sep 17, 2007
9:59 PM EDT
And who said Fidel Castro was a bad guy :-)
jacog

Sep 17, 2007
11:28 PM EDT
Quoting:Linux came out as a free alternative to the Windows program created by the Bill Gates´ company, and it provides users with the freedom to access its source codes and to modify them, thus enhancing the privacy of information. And it’s all totally free of charge.

Written by a non-techie. :)

Wow, Fidel is still alive is he? What's it with dictators.... they seem to live forever. Robert Mugabe, Idi Amin, Castro... all of them very senior, but still ticking.
tracyanne

Sep 18, 2007
12:07 AM EDT
If Linux is good enough for Fidel, it's good enough for me.
jacog

Sep 18, 2007
12:37 AM EDT
There's a group of people (they might be Republicans like BIll) who like to go on about how FOSS is "un-American" (whatever that means). This piece of news probably makes them say "told you so".
jdixon

Sep 18, 2007
12:54 AM EDT
> And who said Fidel Castro was a bad guy.

Probably about 50% of the population of Cuba, if you could ask them in a safe setting.

> Idi Amin

Wikipedia says Idi Amin died in 2003. Quite a bit later than most of his subjects would have liked, I'm sure. For the sake of the people of Zimbabwe, one can only hope that Mugabe sees fit to follow his example in the near future.

The fact that someone is a ruthless dictator doesn't mean they're not constrained by economics. With the passing of the Soviet Union, Fidel (actually his bother Raul now) has a lot less money available then he did in the last century. Moving to Linux is an obvious money saving choice. It also reduces their dependence on the US.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 18, 2007
1:02 AM EDT
jacog: Their reasoning is, anything that a "bad" country likes that hurts American Big Business is Un-American.

Then again they only feel that way because they are told to feel that way, from many people in many directions at once.

Actually trying to find out the facts regarding it would require them to waste time educating themselves..and who has the time to do that anyway, right?

;-)
jacog

Sep 18, 2007
1:07 AM EDT
Oh yes, Idi Amin is indeed dead... I only vaguely remember this oddly.

And agreed about Bob Mugabe... I can't imagine living in a country with a 7600% inflation rate. And technically he's not a dictator, but a democratically elected official. But, given the dysfunctional state of that democracy, he's basically just a dictator.
jdixon

Sep 18, 2007
1:55 AM EDT
> And technically he's not a dictator, but a democratically elected official.

Well, except for the minor fact that he'd lose any fair election. Funny how that works, isn't it? :(
rijelkentaurus

Sep 18, 2007
4:12 AM EDT
Quoting: > And technically he's not a dictator, but a democratically elected official.

Well, except for the minor fact that he'd lose any fair election. Funny how that works, isn't it? :(

These claims have also been leveled against a certain American president......
jacog

Sep 18, 2007
4:28 AM EDT
Except in the case of Zimbabwe it's a little less grey. There are very open acts of ballot fixing, voter intimidation, etc.
dinotrac

Sep 18, 2007
4:30 AM EDT
>it's a little less grey

Yeah, I guess Castro's jailing and execution of opposition leaders is pretty ambiguous.
jacog

Sep 18, 2007
4:36 AM EDT
Less grey than with the aforementioned "certain American president", I meant.
dinotrac

Sep 18, 2007
4:43 AM EDT
>Less grey than with the aforementioned "certain American president", I meant.

Oops. Got out of sequence.

And..yes.

Allegations galore from sore losers, but no facts to back them up. Certainly no jailed or executed opposition.

Republicans are amateurs at election fraud, anyway. You want pros, you come to Chicago, a solid Democratic town. Come to think of it, that's what Al Gore did in 2000, when he hired Mayor Daley's brother to run his campaign.
ColonelPanik

Sep 18, 2007
5:11 AM EDT
¡Cuba Libre!

¡NO MAS BLOQUEO!

Now you have done it, the old hippie is on the peace path, hugging trees and sitting in! Hope the knees can take a few more miles of marching, eh?

The only thing that matters is PEOPLE (and OS's?) all the political systems in all the countries are out dated.

People, peeps, ppl. That's all there is, us, we, humans trying to live with some comfort and dignity.

dinotrac Yeah, Chicago, 1968. Wish I could remember just what we did there, what did we really change? Guess its the thought that counts.

All I can offer is peace, even in the distro wars.
jdixon

Sep 18, 2007
5:31 AM EDT
> These claims have also been leveled against a certain American president......

Well, it's not like it's the first time such claims have been made. Some folks are certain Kennedy stole the 1960 election. With about as much evidence, I might add.
rijelkentaurus

Sep 18, 2007
8:10 AM EDT
Quoting: Allegations galore from sore losers, but no facts to back them up. Certainly no jailed or executed opposition.

Republicans are amateurs at election fraud, anyway. You want pros, you come to Chicago, a solid Democratic town. Come to think of it, that's what Al Gore did in 2000, when he hired Mayor Daley's brother to run his campaign.

My allegations are unlike the allegations just leveled at Al Gore and Mayor Daley? C'mon. (For what it's worth, it wouldn't surprise me, however.) And why do you assume a "sore loser"? I'm quite a conservative fellow, actually, and both Gore and Kerry fill me with a sense of "I gotta puke now." That's pretty much politics in general. Too much power concentrated in too few hands, particularly on the national level.

Quoting: all the political systems in all the countries are out dated.

Agreed. And hopelessly corrupted.

dinotrac

Sep 18, 2007
9:22 AM EDT
>My allegations are unlike the allegations just leveled at Al Gore and Mayor Daley?

I leveled no allegations at Mr. Gore, just pointed out the pedigree of his campaign manager. As to the cleanliness of Chicago politics, I must defer to the city's powerful deceased lobby.
jdixon

Sep 18, 2007
9:25 AM EDT
> ...I must defer to the city's powerful deceased lobby.

Anyone who doesn't think the dead will walk again has never been to Chicago on an election day. :)
Sander_Marechal

Sep 18, 2007
1:20 PM EDT
Quoting:That's pretty much politics in general. Too much power concentrated in too few hands, particularly on the national level.

Start by banning campaign contributions by corporations and lobby groups. That'll open up the field. IIRC the only campaign contributions allowed here in the Netherlands (aside from regular membership fees) is a personal inheritance. I.e. someone leaving money to the party in their will.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!