I love Xfce

Story: The LXer Interview: Benedikt Meurer of XfceTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 19, 2007
9:42 AM EDT
Xfce, Thunar, Mousepad, the Xfce Terminal. All excellent.

And since Xfce works so much better on older hardware, it should be way, way better on newer boxes, too.
jdixon

Sep 19, 2007
9:51 AM EDT
It's the default desktop on my Slackware box.
Sander_Marechal

Sep 19, 2007
1:39 PM EDT
I have only one problem With XFCE. Thunar in particular: I access a *lot* of other computers through SSH. On the few XFCE distro's I tried so far, in none of them was I able to type something like "ssh://sander@server" in Thunar, forcing me to the console and scp for copying files.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 20, 2007
11:07 AM EDT
> "ssh://sander@server"

I was so happy when I discovered Konqueror's fish:// function. No need for samba, no need for nfs, a remote machine is just another directory through vanilla ssh.
Sander_Marechal

Sep 20, 2007
11:28 AM EDT
Yeah, Gnome's Nautilus does it as well (with ssh:// instead of fish://). I was quite disappointed that it doesn't work in Thunar. With the amount of time I spend on other systems it's a deal breaker for me.
dinotrac

Sep 20, 2007
11:38 AM EDT
>I was so happy when I discovered Konqueror's fish:// function.

Yes. Tis a wonder, and one of the reasons I face KDE4 and it's "de-functioned" konqueror with some trepidation.

I must admit, though, that I am surprised that you like it so much, given the religious symbolism and all.
thenixedreport

Sep 20, 2007
11:57 AM EDT
I use Xfce4 on my Dell OptiPlex GXi. It only has 64 MB of RAM, a 2 MB internal Trio graphics adapter, a 2-3 GB hard drive, and an onboard ethernet controller.

Okay, so at times, it moves at the speed of molasses, but when everything's loaded, it chugs right along. I run Xfce4 on Debian 4. ;)
azerthoth

Sep 20, 2007
11:57 AM EDT
Some (all that I used to use konqueror for) of the defunctioned functions are now in Dolphin. File manager, storage devices, nfs, ssh, samba connections, etc are there. Thats why I really pay no attention to desktop/user environment. I dont need Gnome or KDE, all I do is install the bits and pieces I want then either hotkey or autostart it in Fluxbox.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!