Uncritical acceptance

Story: Review: Ubuntu Popularity: Blessing or Curse?Total Replies: 10
Author Content
jezuch

Sep 24, 2007
3:16 PM EDT
Well, Ubuntu's users are in large numbers Windows converts, right? Windows users' leading characteristic is uncritical acceptance... right? Is it me, or is there a connection there? ;)
jdixon

Sep 24, 2007
4:10 PM EDT
> "Ubuntu's own unique contributions to the software selection have always been sleight compared to a distribution like Fedora."

It's a shame that's almost certainly a typo. The putdown would have been classic otherwise.
Steven_Rosenber

Sep 25, 2007
2:52 PM EDT
Linux ... it's like peeling an onion. Mine started with Knoppix, then Puppy, Damn Small Linux, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Mepis, Vector, ZenWalk, Debian, CentOS and Slackware.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 25, 2007
3:18 PM EDT
Mine?...Red Hat, SuSE, Debian, Knoppix, DSL and now PCLinuxOS..
Abe

Sep 25, 2007
3:26 PM EDT
Mine? ... Red Hat (trial), Suse (5 years), Kubuntu (6 month), PCLinuxOS (over 1year). In between all of these I was testing various distros. It is nice to see recently so many giving PCLinuxOS a try.

jezuch

Sep 25, 2007
3:28 PM EDT
Mine - Debian.......... Debian ;)
azerthoth

Sep 25, 2007
3:30 PM EDT
Not counting try outs less than a week ...

Suse, Debian, Xandros OC, Mepis, (K,X)Ubuntu, White Box, PClinuxOS and now Sabayon.

Not counting that between every one of those there was Debian, and I carry DSL with me on a thumbdrive everywhere I go. Bluewhite64 went in multiboot at the same time as Sabayon, I didn't give that one the chance I should have because in my mind it just didnt stack up against Sab very well.
rijelkentaurus

Sep 25, 2007
5:30 PM EDT
Debian...my first install from disc one (and only disc one) of Woody, coming to a command prompt that would not allow me to use any of the few DOS commands that I knew...I went screaming back to XP!! Oy, what a n00b!

Then to Fedora Core 3. I discovered Ubuntu then for the first time...didn't care for it then, I think it's better now but still not my cup-o-tea, although Gutsy is looking pretty good. Then it was SuSE 9.1 Professional, purchased from Amazon.com. I didn't understand that I didn't have to purchase Linux. I drove myself crazy because I couldn't play my music, I couldn't watch my DVDs, I could barely do anything at all. Somewhere along the way I got my hands on The OpenCD and starting using Firefox, then Open Office, then Blender, and then I discovered Mepis. Ah, Mepis, the distro that made everything just so darn easy. I could watch movies, listen to music, surf the web, etc, etc. Great stuff. Curious about Red Hat, I found CentOS and installed version 4 on my machine. I liked it but I found it more difficult to use as a "jukebox" because it seemed to be made to be used as a workstation and a server instead. Then about a year and a half ago, I discovered PCLOS and that's been the main distro since.

Along the way, I also used at one time or another Debian, Zenwalk, Knoppix, Damn Small, StartCom, Foresight, Xandros, Yoper, and probably several more than I can't remember. I've given Gentoo and Lunar a try, but it went a little ugly and I don't have the time to spend taking care of a source distro...although I have spent enough time installing and reinstalling others that I probably get along with one just fine, LOL!

I used to dual boot. I don't remember what it was exactly that made me throw Windows to the side...I can spout dozens of reason why I don't like it now...but Linux was simply better, faster, had better apps and was far more convenient than Windows.
techiem2

Sep 26, 2007
4:31 AM EDT
I believe my sequence for serious use was Slackware, Mandrake, Gentoo. I almost switched to primarily Suse after Mandrake, but Gentoo became stable enough for me to install when I was considering the switch. Most of my boxes run Gentoo. I also have a box with Debian and virtual machine with Freebsd serving specific functions. I want to get a box or virtual machine setup with slack again to see how it is these days.

Mom is my typical desktop user testbed. She basically does word processing, email, and web surfing. Her box currently runs Vector but I think I'm gonna switch it to SAM and see how that goes. I started with PCLOS on her box, but KDE was a bit pokey, so I switched to Vector. Vector is fairly quick,but I don't like it as much and she seems to need help more often with it. So SAM looks like it might be a good choice to try next since it's based on PCLOS but runs XFCE by default. :)

My work laptop dual boots Gentoo and XP. I'm mainly in Gentoo on it thankfully, but do need windows around for the occasional research of "how do I do this in windows?" or editing the stupid proprietary program generated menu for our web site (the site was recently redone by a local company, and while nice overall, the menu system they used is awful to edit). And it gives me a place to play my old windows games that won't run in wine easily. :)
dinotrac

Sep 26, 2007
4:45 AM EDT
>Is it me, or is there a connection there? ;)

It's just you. Most Linux users are Windows converts.
tracyanne

Sep 26, 2007
12:57 PM EDT
Quoting:Most Linux users are Windows converts.

Indeed, I tried Red Hat, Lycoris (which I purchased), SuSE, and Mandrake. Mandrake (now Mandriva) worked, and has done so on every piece of hardware I've thrown at it. I try other Distros all the time, but none of them give me anything I don't already have with Mandriva, and many fall short.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!