SuSE

Story: The 7 Most Influential GNU/Linux DistributionsTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
number6x

Sep 25, 2007
12:46 PM EDT
The article has the founding date of SuSE wrong. Suse predates Redhat and was founded in 1992. It was SLS based, but switched to Slackware when Slack came out in 1993.

Slackware was based on SLS.

SuSE's big contribution was porting RPM to their Slackware based distro. They developed Yast to handle package dependencies, but kept ot proprietary until after the Novell buyout. Too bad, Red Hat users could have used and had yum a few years earlier.

SuSE was an early user and supporter of KDE and ReserFS as well.

I'm surprised Caldera didn't make it! They own Linux, don't they?

:)
jdixon

Sep 25, 2007
1:19 PM EDT
> I'm surprised Caldera didn't make it!

I think he's only listing active distributions. SCO dropped Caldera when they started suing folks, so it's no longer an active distribution. I can't really argue with his listing. As he said, there are a number of others which could be mentioned (Corel/Xandros, for example), but you'd have far less agreement as to which those were.
wjl

Sep 25, 2007
1:34 PM EDT
jdixon> I can't really argue with his listing.

Jup. One of the best short unbiased introductions for outsiders I've seen so far. I think Bruce did a good job here.
number6x

Sep 26, 2007
5:37 AM EDT
I was just joking about Caldera.
dinotrac

Sep 26, 2007
5:42 AM EDT
>I was just joking about Caldera.

So I guess there's no point mentioning Yggdrasil...
gus3

Sep 26, 2007
8:23 AM EDT
He could do well to follow it with an article about "what Linux distros did that you formerly could get only in big-bucks proprietary systems, if at all." Things like the Knoppix live CD and the Linux Terminal Server Project (now K12LTSP).
PaulFerris

Sep 27, 2007
7:33 AM EDT
dino:> So I guess there's no point mentioning Yggdrasil...

Yeah, there is! One of the three users still attempting to get "Plug and Play Linux" up and running on an old 486 are still trying to get help, and I think there's value in having Bruce research and change the article name to "The top 211 Linux distributions", so that that distribution will show up at number 210 (right above DinoCyde Linux). That way those people can hope to have enough visibility from the support community to help them boot their 10 year old distribution.

In case people haven't heard of DinoCyde Linux: "In this case, they're looking for a special functionality called Hyper-Skitzo, whereby the computer displays alternating moments of brilliance and symptoms of being dumber than a post. The DinoCyde distro would obviously fill a special niche in the market for people that are looking to balance their incorrectly deployed mood-altering-meds."
dinotrac

Sep 27, 2007
11:01 AM EDT
Ummm....

It's the Dino part that's brilliant, right?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!