Statistics to be published

Story: Firefox big, Linux growing on TectonicTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Abe

Oct 02, 2007
8:23 AM EDT
This is what is needed to see how FOSS is growing. Tectonic is a technical site and doesn't give a good indication about the rate of FOSS is flourishing. What is needed is to have the majority of popular Internet sites to publish the same.

The best reasonably accurate statistics would come from Google. I am not sure why they don't distribute them. Any one knows or have an idea why they don't?

Bob_Robertson

Oct 02, 2007
12:13 PM EDT
> Any one knows or have an idea why they don't?

Can you imagine anyone with lots of money that would not want that information published?
tracyanne

Oct 02, 2007
1:03 PM EDT
Maybe they aren't all that accurate, I for one block Google Analytics.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 02, 2007
1:49 PM EDT
oh there you go, ruining my conspiracy theory.
beirwin

Oct 02, 2007
3:58 PM EDT
Google dropped the OS stats. in May 2004 j (good old Internet Archive came to the rescue here) just as Linux was really beginning to be a force to reckon with. We emailed Google about this but never received a reply.

Barbara
Sander_Marechal

Oct 02, 2007
11:47 PM EDT
Such stats undervalue Firefox and Linux anyway. There are lots of people using user-agent switcher to report as IE6/Win in order to work around buggy websites doing javascript browser sniffing.
Abe

Oct 03, 2007
9:32 AM EDT
Quoting:There are lots of people using user-agent switcher to report as IE6/Win in order to work around buggy websites doing javascript browser sniffing.
True, on the other hand, this is becoming less by the day.

The statistics released by Tectonic certainly shows decent percentages for FF & Linux and most people who

Sander_Marechal

Oct 03, 2007
1:15 PM EDT
...who? I think the rest of your post got eaten.

Yes. It does show decent percentages. But the actual percentage is even higher. That's all I wanted to add here.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!