Other Helios accomplishments

Story: Heroes of Linux and FOSS: Ken Starks, AKA HeliosTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
GnuGuy

Oct 04, 2007
2:57 PM EDT
Not to mention surviving the sixties.

I agree. This guy is something special and he does have some really great supporters. I was impressed by the help that he got from them re the Tux500 effort even after receiving all sorts of bad-mouthing and criticism from the nay-sayers based on nothing but spineless conjecture. And I'm proud to say that I have some fine-looking mugs in my possession which bring back fond memories of a daring effort. The mugs also remind me of the anchor-like drag from these all-talk and no-walk whiners that we still must contend with while faced with such an enormous challenge.

The other efforts by Ken clearly demonstrate his true, enduring passion and determination for GNULinux (one for you Richard) and the FOSS cause.

My prayers and best wishes for a rapid and lasting recovery go out to Ken and his family. You've inspired me and I know you've inspired others. Linux (one for the rest of us) and FOSS need people like you to show rookies like me the way.

Hang tough, Helios.
ColonelPanik

Oct 06, 2007
7:26 AM EDT
QUOTE "Not to mention surviving the sixties."

GnuGuy, you mean I am not the only old timer here? There are a whole lot of very nifty folks in the Linux arena. Helios is special.

dinotrac

Oct 06, 2007
8:55 AM EDT
>GnuGuy, you mean I am not the only old timer here?

Oh, goodness no. The problem is that most of us did manage to make it through the 60s, a time in which, well, to be honest, I can't remember. Something seems to have happened to my brain during that period.
tuxchick

Oct 06, 2007
9:11 AM EDT
What a bunch of fossils. I was in grade school in the 60s. I suppose you were all at Woodstock and Monterey, too.
dinotrac

Oct 06, 2007
9:27 AM EDT
>I suppose you were all at Woodstock and Monterey, too.

I'm still ticked off at my gutlessness re: Woodstock. I was working at a Howard Johnson's on the Jersey Turnpike and turned down many offers to go.

Sigh. Stupid is as stupid does.
jdixon

Oct 06, 2007
9:30 AM EDT
> I was in grade school in the 60s.

For me, it depends on your definition of grade school and which part of the sixties. I started first grade in 64, so if you consider grade school to be first through 8th grade, so was I. Modern terminology seems to be that 1-4 is elementary school, 5-8 is middle school, and 9-12 is high school, which would put me in middle school for the last few years of the sixties.
tracyanne

Oct 07, 2007
12:27 AM EDT
Quoting:I suppose you were all at Woodstock and Monterey, too.

Only if they are places on the Coromandel Peninsula or somewhere South of Auckland.
devnet

Oct 09, 2007
5:15 PM EDT
I was a twinkle in my mom's eyes in the sixties...and my mom was in grade school then :D
jdixon

Oct 09, 2007
5:21 PM EDT
> I was a twinkle in my mom's eyes in the sixties..

Young whippersnapper. :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!