All you need to know:

Story: Choosing Windows vs. Linux - Which One & Why & What Lies Ahead!Total Replies: 2
Author Content
dinotrac

Oct 14, 2007
10:28 PM EDT
Quoting: So the GNU OS wasn't quite completed when Linus stepped in and created his kernel which was designed somewhat easier.So the GNU OS wasn't quite completed when Linus stepped in and created his kernel which was designed somewhat easier.

Which says all you need to know about this article.
Shagbag

Oct 14, 2007
11:19 PM EDT
I enjoyed reading the article and, if I had written it, I would have made the following changes:

1. Windows users do have a choice of applications to install that do the same thing, eg. OpenOffice runs on Windows as well as MS Office. I'm not so sure you can say Linux has more choice in apps than Windows.

2. I would have stressed that M$'s desktop (not server) monopoly has very little to do with the technology and almost all to do with economics. M$ has created very strong "barriers to entry" in the desktop market. These include:

A) agreements (sometimes illegal/anti-trust) with OEMs to supply windows pre-installed PCs exclusively;

B) marketing entry barriers: it costs a lot for anyone to usurp the ubiquitous "Windows" brand from peoples' memories; and

C) steep learning curve: until PCs become widely available with GNU/Linux pre-installed, the majority of PC users face a steep learning curve with linux which, most people will prefer to pay USD90 to avoid (the estimated cost of a Windows OEM licence + anti-virus).

The fact that M$ has failed to replicate its desktop monopoly in the server market is consistent with this "economics over technology" argument. If you look at which OS the more technically competent section of the population prefers, you'll see it isn't windows. Further proof that the desktop monopoly isn't about the technology.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 15, 2007
5:43 AM EDT
> C) steep learning curve:

I disagree completely. There is no more of a learning hurdle than in changing versions of Windows, versions of Office, or from I.E. to Firefox.

In fact, since so many of the big F/OSS packages run on both Windows and Linux, there is little or no "learning curve" difference at all.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!