Is it me, or did Linus say absolutely nothing?

Story: 'Choice Is Absolutely Essential'Total Replies: 5
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 17, 2007
3:25 PM EDT
I know it's the Wall Street Journal, but was this interview even worth transcribing? I got nothing out of it.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 17, 2007
3:28 PM EDT
Well, as you said, it's the WSJ. I'm sure the suits will find it "newsworthy".
Bob_Robertson

Oct 17, 2007
4:20 PM EDT
You got nothing, but you are not the WSJ target market.

Steven_Rosenber

Oct 17, 2007
5:00 PM EDT
He's trying to hammer Linus about the desktop, and he didn't even get the standard Linus line, something akin to "I use it on my desktop. At least the story (or sidebar ... can't remember which) made the point that the Linux kernel and all that comes with the various distributions are not a single entity. I did see something in there that gave Ubuntu credit for the whole idea of a distribution that includes applications, even though it's just one of many -- one of the most popular, to be sure, but not an innovator when it comes to bundling free apps.

set

Oct 17, 2007
8:53 PM EDT
Sure he did:

'So maybe the desktop isn't exactly getting "conquered," but it's getting a fair amount of development attention. So as a desktop user myself, I have to say that I'm very happy in the technical development (as opposed, perhaps, to the actual market penetration) over the last years.'

Basicly Linus re-iterated the points he has made in most of his interviews lately; that the desktop is the most interesting space because it is the most difficult to get right, how internal competition is good (evolution), how lots of small contributions add up to a stream, etc.

Which is mostly tangential to the competative 'market share' track of the interviewer, except where he gives back a little that market share is important in that it brings more players to the team and improves driver support.

What did you read?
Steven_Rosenber

Oct 17, 2007
8:57 PM EDT
Missed that part ... my bad.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!