"Wow! We were completely blown away "

Story: ATI: Linux vs. Windows VistaTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
henke54

Oct 31, 2007
7:03 AM EDT
Quoting:Wow! We were completely blown away when our final results came in and the Linux 8.42.3 driver had outperformed Windows Vista with Catalyst 7.10 in Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. It wasn't just a neck-and-neck race but Linux was about 10 frames per second faster when running at 1280 x 1024 and 1680 x 1050.
;-)
bigg

Oct 31, 2007
7:24 AM EDT
What a shock, finding that Vista is slow. I suppose it's possible that some Linux users have not actually run Vista.
Bob_Robertson

Oct 31, 2007
9:17 AM EDT
I only ran Vista once, and only long enough to create a "system restore". I will not be doing so again, if I somehow end up buying a machine with Windows preinstalled.

It's just not worth it.
jdixon

Oct 31, 2007
9:21 AM EDT
> It's just not worth it.

No, it's not. Just boot from a live CD and use partimage to create an image of the hard drive on another machine, then burn the image up to DVD. That way you can restore the original partitions if you ever need to and you never had to touch Windows.
hkwint

Oct 31, 2007
10:54 AM EDT
Quoting:What a shock, finding that Vista is slow.

It is once you realize when Phoronix carried out almost the same benchmarks a few months ago, Linux did reach about (typically) 70% less FPS than Vista. However, if you didn't follow their benchmarks and this is the first you see, I understand you are not that enthusiast. Nonetheless, you should be; because it is good to see ATi is putting effort in Linux drivers.
moopst

Oct 31, 2007
8:51 PM EDT
Is it legal for Phoronix to publish benchmarks pertaining to Windows Vista? I though MS had language in their EULA that said you can't say nutten about Windows performance unless it's under conditions they specify, or something to that effect.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 31, 2007
10:32 PM EDT
They're not benchmarking Vista. They're benchmarking Enemy Territory: Quake Wars :-)
jacog

Nov 01, 2007
12:25 AM EDT
Is that benchmark result a result of the quality of tyhe drivers, or the quality of the Linux ET:QW client? A proper benchmark would see it tested with several different applications.
hkwint

Nov 01, 2007
3:16 AM EDT
Quoting:I though MS had language in their EULA that said you can't say nutten about Windows performance

As far as I know, this clause is only in .NET EULA and possibly MS Office EULA, but not in MS OS (Windows) EULA's.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!