how sad

Story: LDAP browsing with LumaTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
herzeleid

Nov 06, 2007
9:45 PM EDT
Yikes, go to "linux.com" and get spammed with idiotic microsoft propaganda. Too bad, they were a promising site at one time. Clearly nothing happening there anymore.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 06, 2007
10:14 PM EDT
I don't get the MS ads (after I disable adblock). Looking at the source they use doubleclick for their ads. It's hard to block all MS ads from a 3rd party ad company because MS products are peddled through so many different domain names. I wouldn't worry about it. Not at the moment anyway. You might want to send the Linux.com folks an e-mail letting them know, so they can add the ads to their filters.
bigg

Nov 07, 2007
3:24 AM EDT
The explanation is given here:

http://www.linux.com/feature/120913

I do not know much about the company that runs this website, so it's hard to evaluate. Apparently they do more than just linux.com.
tuxchick

Nov 07, 2007
8:07 AM EDT
I almost wrote off Linux.com last year because the quality of the content was way down. But they pulled out of their slump and now they have some of the best tech writers in the business- Bruce Byfield, Nathan Willis, and Joe Barr. Plus the guest articles are considerably improved. As long as microshaft doesn't dictate content, let 'em fund high-quality Linux material. Just like on LT, which provides me with occasional paychecks. As far as I can tell I am not yet corrupted, though I do have this occasional odd urge to fling chairs.
herzeleid

Nov 07, 2007
9:33 AM EDT
Sander, bigg and tc -

I agree that the content proper isn't too shabby, but the fly in the ointment is that when somebody comes there looking for information on linux the first thing they see is a huge ad warning them that linux is too risky, and that they should use windoze server 2003.

To my mind that represents gross mismanagement of the linux.com domain, and my first thought was "when is somebody going to pull the plug and put them out of their misery?"
tuxchick

Nov 07, 2007
9:38 AM EDT
herzeleid, I agree that seeing microshaft ads on Linux sites is repulsive and distasteful. I'm not going to let them chase me away from Linux sites that are helpful and interesting to me, though.
bigg

Nov 07, 2007
10:15 AM EDT
I was only linking to their explanation. I personally don't agree with the explanation. I've never been bothered by MS ads, and in fact like seeing them wasting their ads on me. Some Linux sites may not even be able to stay afloat if they rely only on Linux ads.
herzeleid

Nov 07, 2007
10:42 AM EDT
Quoting:Some Linux sites may not even be able to stay afloat if they rely only on Linux ads.
There are many different types of ads which are compatible with a linux site. I'm stating my objection to blatant anti-linux ads on a supposedly pro-linux site.

Are you saying that the only way for a linux site to stay afloat is to advertise anti-linux propoganda?
Sander_Marechal

Nov 07, 2007
1:57 PM EDT
Aren't most firefox folk using adblock anyway? I can't imagine surfing the web without it.
herzeleid

Nov 07, 2007
2:20 PM EDT
Aren't most firefox folk using adblock anyway? I can't imagine surfing the web without it.

Probably a number of savvy folks are using adblock - but for those who may not be using adblock or firefox for that matter, or who haven't been initiated and are looking for info about this linux thing, we see a problem with linux.com, and other sites which take microsoft money to warn people away from linux.

Scott_Ruecker

Nov 07, 2007
2:36 PM EDT
I have adblock but I have to say that the No Script extension for FF is indispensable. You have to train it but once done it has made surfing a lot easier for me. Web pages actually stop loading instead of never stopping, redirects and those stupid hidden Windows executables become non-existent.

I love it.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 07, 2007
3:30 PM EDT
Hmm.... I'll have to try that one.

Come to think of it, there's one extension that I'd really, really love to see. An extension stops links from opening in new windows. There are few things I hate more than that. It's a pet peeve of mine. It's easy for normal links. Just strip the target attribute if it's "new" or "_blank" or anything like that. What would be great is an extension that can read JavaScript links and parse the window.open function. If it opens a new window that's significantly smaller than the existing window then it's probably a valid popup. Put it in a new window. If no size is given or if the size is similar to the screen or window size, redirect the javascript window.open function to open in the current tab or in a new tab, depending on whether left-click or middle-click was used.

Anyone know of an extension that does this?
techiem2

Nov 07, 2007
3:38 PM EDT
Adblock Plus

NoScript

Cookie Button in the Status Bar -No cookies unless I say so!

Tab Mix Plus (this is probably what you want Sander) - Lots of options including Single Window Mode
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 07, 2007
3:46 PM EDT
I used Tabs Mix Plus for a bit but FF already allows you to control if links open in a new tab or window as it is so now I use the Colorful Tabs Extension.
techiem2

Nov 07, 2007
4:29 PM EDT
Ooh. That's cool. *adds Colorful Tabs to the collection* :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!