hilarious and true

Story: Windows: my eXPerienceTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
tuxchick

Nov 13, 2007
8:44 AM EDT
This is the windows review I've always wanted to write :)
montezuma

Nov 13, 2007
8:56 AM EDT
I liked how the curse words increased as time went on.... Entertaining!
softwarejanitor

Nov 13, 2007
9:11 AM EDT
Every time I have to do something with Windows my experiences are very similar to what the article talks about.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 13, 2007
11:36 AM EDT
I agree. I was using Win95 pre-release because the place I was working was signed up as a test-bed. Ya know, it really wasn't bad. But I also started using Linux at that point. So side by side I got to see how both environments evolved. Both installed very well on one 120MB HD.

Linux was darned hard to use, but Debian, with 400+ packages, had the software I needed. Windows was a "let's try hunting somewhere else", and lots of searching with AltaVista.

KDE matched what Win95 was, in my opinion. Since that time, the Linux environment has only gotten better. Everything gets easier. Different things at different times, but except for software bloat I must admit I like what has become of the system I use. The KDE and GNOME environments have fostered common (or common-ish) look and feels while allowing creativity about what the applications do.

Windows, on the other hand, has been getting much fatter, slower, and doing more and more "for" me. Flexibility is lost while compatibility suffers, inconsistencies grow because no two applications have anything in common.

I have no interest in running Windows any more. If I can get borderless photo printing to work under Linux, maybe I can make an OpenOffice template, I will finally have nothing what so ever to use Windows for.

Ok, my daughter's games run on Windows. I guess I'll keep one Windows machine for a while yet, until WINE works for Dora the Explora.
wjl

Nov 13, 2007
12:07 PM EDT
Bob> "Ok, my daughter's games run on Windows. I guess I'll keep one Windows machine for a while yet, until WINE works for Dora the Explora."

Bob,

that sounds as if your daughter is about the same age like ours (compare at my wife's http://mitchie.lonien.de/blog/). Some things about that:

When I bought Martin Krafft's "The Debian System" at LinuxTag in Karlsruhe some years ago, my wife asked him to sign it for our daughter - which he did, and he added: "How lucky she is to have parents like you!"

Since that time, she was on every LinuxTag and FOSDEM (Free and Open Source Developers' European Meeting) with us, and she grows up with Debian. For her, that seems to be quite natural - she loves to play around with GCompris for instance.

Also, I just found that article from Stan Beer in ITWire, asking "Can we afford not to give our kids Linux?" (see http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15272/1023/).

In your case, I know I don't have to worry - but we have lots of readers here, right? So excuse me when I felt that I had to point that out...

best, Wolfgang
tuxchick

Nov 13, 2007
12:07 PM EDT
Bob, it's funny you should mention borderless printing. That was my big gripe- it didn't work at all, until I upgraded to Kubuntu Gutsy. Now it works perfectly. So either *buntu did something to hork CUPS, or CUPS itself was already horked and then fixed.
bigg

Nov 13, 2007
12:18 PM EDT
My wife actually did borderless printing from Linux (I'm not much into that kind of stuff). Not in Debian, maybe PCLinuxOS or Mepis, but I know for sure that she did it in Linux because her Vista laptop didn't have drivers for our printer.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 13, 2007
1:51 PM EDT
Ok, I guess I'll just have to push the issue. I can print just fine on the 4x6 photo paper through Open Office, but it warns that even .25 borders are "beyond printer specs". I wrote to HP again, thanking them for putting hplip out for Linux, and asking for, at least, borderless templates for OpenOffice.

The Scolastic math and language are more important than Dora to me, and to be honest I haven't tried those in WINE. However, my girl loves Wesnoth, and thinks the Linux games are much better than Windows.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!