What could be better than advertising?

Story: What could be better than advertising?Total Replies: 2
Author Content
ColonelPanik

Nov 17, 2007
8:21 AM EDT
"we are not seats or eyeballs or end users or consumers. we are human beings and our reach exceeds your grasp. deal with it." -Chris Locke

"we are not seats or eyeballs or end users or consumers. we are human beings and our reach exceeds your grasp. deal with it." -Chris Locke

Oh, wait, I am preaching to the choir here. For any one not in the choir (what is the possibility of that?) who is reading this: "we are not seats or eyeballs or end users or consumers. we are human beings and our reach exceeds your grasp. deal with it." -Chris Locke

Hey all you LXer's I am sorry about the stuff above, that book just blew me away! We need to force the sellers to treat us as people and not a a demographic. Kill your TV, Kill the BigBoxStores!

phsolide

Nov 17, 2007
10:07 AM EDT
What could be better than advertising?

Almost anything, including drying up and blowing away, stupid advertisers.

Advertising is essentially ALL LIES. The art of advertising is all about coming as close to falsehood as you can without actually getting caught at it.

No adult US resident (I've never lived in any other country) is expected to *believe* advertisements, they are, however, expected to be influenced by them. It's bizarre.

The only really effective advertising is word-of-mouth anyway, hence all the emphasis on "viral" marketing.

Advertising poisons everything it touches from television to the skyline (billboards, anyone?) to newspapers to usenet to the world wide web.

Beware of advertising - it's pernicious, and all-consuming.
Bob_Robertson

Nov 17, 2007
12:57 PM EDT
"Business propaganda must be obtrusive and blatant. It is its aim to attract the attention of slow people, to rouse latent wishes, to entice men to substitute innovation for inert clinging to traditional routine. In order to succeed, advertising must be adjusted to the mentality of the people courted. It must suit their tastes and speak their idiom. Advertising is shrill, noisy, coarse, puffing, because the public does not react to dignified allusions. It is the bad taste of the public that forces the advertisers to display bad taste in their publicity campaigns. The art of advertising has evolved into a branch of applied psychology, a sister discipline of pedagogy."

http://www.mises.org/humanaction/chap15sec13.asp

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!