the most persistent non-story of all time

Story: Why the ODF Shuttered its DoorsTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
tuxchick

Nov 28, 2007
1:45 PM EDT
Holy moly, you'd think there was a real story here. Three guys took their ball and went home- this is news?
Sander_Marechal

Nov 28, 2007
1:52 PM EDT
Looks like it's part 1 of a series. Don't hold your breath though...
dcparris

Nov 28, 2007
2:23 PM EDT
You know, I actually pondered writing an article to say we need to stop writing articles about the Foundation. ;-)
tuxchick

Nov 28, 2007
2:24 PM EDT
heh, don, same old dilemma- do you yell "shut up" to noisy people? :)
hkwint

Nov 28, 2007
2:36 PM EDT
Probably the real news is that what was brought as news in the past turned out to be no news, looking back.
dcparris

Nov 28, 2007
3:04 PM EDT
honestly, I'm just glad I'm not the only one that doesn't see this as news. ;-)

The whole thing just seems silly and blown all out of proportion. I'm guessing the biggest reason the Foundation took the potshots at ODFormat is to guarantee enough publicity to last until they're ready for their next announcement. I honestly don't see much (maybe not any, but not much) reason to have blasted the format the way they did. AND they can keep their marbles.
tuxchick

Nov 28, 2007
3:14 PM EDT
Don, it's completely blown out of proportion. The Foundation is nothing to ODF; they were not part of the standards process in any way. They were not players in advancing its adoption. Now they're not even a Foundation since they closed their doors. They're just three guys who are mad about something, and whatever that is isn't clear despite all the thousands of words they've printed on the subject.

I think the continuing stories are part of a deliberate anti-ODF campaign, because even the densest "journalist" should know by now this defunct foundation is not significant.
gus3

Nov 29, 2007
12:55 AM EDT
Quoting:do you yell "shut up" to noisy people? :)
It worked for Sister Mary Elephant, at least for a few minutes...
danns

Nov 29, 2007
5:59 AM EDT
gus3, wow, Sister Mary Elephant; holy makeral! That's reaching way, way back. But man, it brought to light some great memories. I'll have to track down some Cheeck and Chong!

More on topic... I've been following this story very loosely and from that perspective it's hard to get a complete grasp on what is going on. Getting more to the meat of it, it seems there really is no story here or much to report or even any controversy. Although, an inordinate amount of coverage conveys the message that ODF (the format) is dead in favor of CDF which is not the case at all. What a fiasco!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!