Strange Comments On Mandriva

Story: Ubuntu Alternatives For BeginnersTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
zenarcher

Nov 29, 2007
11:22 AM EDT
I was surprised to see such an unspecified trashing of Mandriva in this article. "Unstable?" I hadn't used Mandriva for about three years and recently installed Mandriva 2008....with such a pleasant experience that I've now installed it in about six computers during the past three weeks or so. All with the same positive result.

I have been using OpenSUSE and Fedora for the past couple of years...and never have spent less that two frustrating days trying to get the Broadcom wireless to work in my notebook computer, with either distro. With Mandriva, the Broadcom wireless was up and running in about 30 seconds. Likewise, even the internal fax in my HP Officejet 6200 was automatically configured during the install. Every piece of hardware, including widescreen LCD displays, Nvidia and ATI video cards....everything just worked without any hassles.

Perhaps the author has a bit of bias against RPM based distros, I'm not sure...but I think Mandriva took a bad and untrue rap in this article...at least from my personal experience.
tracyanne

Nov 29, 2007
11:29 AM EDT
Quoting:With Mandriva, the Broadcom wireless was up and running in about 30 seconds. Likewise, even the internal fax in my HP Officejet 6200 was automatically configured during the install. Every piece of hardware, including widescreen LCD displays, Nvidia and ATI video cards....everything just worked without any hassles.

Exactly my experience, and why I continue to recommend Mandriva.

Well it is Matt Hartley.
bigg

Nov 29, 2007
11:32 AM EDT
Take the comments more as information about MH than about Mandriva.

Even I, a Debian user, strongly recommend Mandriva to Windows users. As far as a Linux distribution that will work with proprietary drivers, Mandriva is hard to beat. I don't know how you can describe it as unstable at all.
zenarcher

Nov 29, 2007
2:15 PM EDT
I certainly agree about recommending Mandriva to Windows users. Four of the installs of Mandriva I've recently done have been for people who were trying to switch from Windows to Linux. I have two hard core Windows users right now I'm preparing Mandriva systems to try.

I figure if Mandriva offers a good experience for a Windows user, I'm happy with that.
tuxchick

Nov 29, 2007
2:20 PM EDT
zenarcher, it's the author. 'nuff said.
azerthoth

Nov 29, 2007
2:32 PM EDT
Quoting:If you are one of the Linux users who is looking for a bit of an education in your Linux experience ...

Talking about ubuntu and then saying use Debian for a bit of education, psst Matt you are aware that Ubuntu is nearly all Debian to begin with, with odds and ends tossed in, like loading every kernel module that was compiled at the time during normal boot up. Thats how you get the 10 or 15 modules you need, load a 3 page list of them.

You want to 'learn' LFS, Slackware, Gentoo, will teach you. Debian really wont teach you anything that Ubuntu cant, especially like how to blacklist modules, Ubuntu is a great one to learn that on.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!