notion of distribution superiority is completely moot

Story: The Convenient Fiction of DistributionsTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Igor

Dec 01, 2007
10:40 AM EDT
My concern is, I think the distributions are becoming so similar in their construction, and the differences between them so subtle, the whole notion of distribution superiority is completely moot.

Agreed
herzeleid

Dec 01, 2007
11:44 AM EDT
The idea sounds sensible on the surface, and there was a time when I would have agreed with it. But experience has taught me that the vendor can make or break the stability of the distro, with the choice of libs, kernel and patches, compilation options etc.

We always ran our dns servers on redhat, and bind would crash at random intervals, sometimes several times in a week. It got to the point that we had to put a cron job on the dns servers to check every 3 minutes if bind was still running, and restart it whenever it was dead. (google showed it to be a known problem on redhat with smp kernels)

For various reasons we ended up going with suse starting in 2004, and since then the dns, oddly enough, has never crashed once. Coincidence? I think not.
gus3

Dec 02, 2007
8:46 AM EDT
*hands herzeleid his check from SuSE*

;-)

Seriously, I am with you 100%.
jdixon

Dec 04, 2007
8:26 AM EDT
> I think the distributions are becoming so similar in their construction, and the differences between them so subtle, the whole notion of distribution superiority is completely moot.

One is forced to wonder how long it's been since Brian last tried Slackware. Say whatever you want about Slack, it's different. I believe the same can be said for Gentoo, but since I've never used it, I can't say so from personal experience.
techiem2

Dec 04, 2007
10:55 AM EDT
/me is happy to be "different" by using Gentoo

:)

I think superiority can be defined in many different ways by many people.

To some, the power to define the system easily from the ground up like Gentoo and other source based distros would see those as "superior", even if it means more work getting things working - I pretty much fit here.

However, to others, having a distro just install quickly and have everything working ootb makes that a "superior" distro.

And there's probably many other criteria people use for determining what they believe to be the "superior" distro.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!