Victory in defeat.

Story: KDE 4.0 to be Released in JanuaryTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
dinotrac

Dec 01, 2007
6:50 PM EDT
Team KDE has a very good track record on release dates and this has got to sting a little. You don't perform as well as they have without taking those dates seriously.

So -- all the more reason to send roses and kudos. They've done something that's hard for them to do and kept sight of the real goal: Great software that everybody can appreciate.

A year from now, nobody will remember that it was released a month later. As Vista demonstrates, everybody would remember if the release came out on time but was a steaming pile.
azerthoth

Dec 01, 2007
7:01 PM EDT
The two example's of KDE4 I have played with ... it looked nice but was about as functional as a fart in high winds.
dinotrac

Dec 01, 2007
7:20 PM EDT
>as functional as a fart in high winds.

One does hate to dissipate a good fart.
Scott_Ruecker

Dec 01, 2007
8:19 PM EDT
Quoting:it looked nice but was about as functional as a fart in high winds.

And those are usually the words that run through my mind when trying out a GUI other than KDE.

Hmmm...
Bob_Robertson

Dec 02, 2007
3:59 AM EDT
The Debian KDE team put together a live CD with KDEv4.

http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde4livecd.html

I tried it, and the only complaint I have is that flash has yet further taken over for substance.

The main menu isn't a menu, it's a series of overwriting panels. My hope is that this can somehow be turned _off_.

I like square corners and solid colors. Maybe there's a retro-KDEv2 theme out there.

All that said, I'm using KDE right now and expect to continue to do so.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!