Ubuntu 6.06 LTS runs better than you'd think

Story: Ubuntu Hardy alpha releasedTotal Replies: 27
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 03, 2007
2:20 PM EDT
As part of my gestating gOS review, I installed Ubuntu 6.06 LTS on the same box for comparison's sake. Everything worked great -- and fast -- in 6.06, which I haven't run in quite awhile. I just hope they don't wreck it in 8.04 LTS.

P.S. Do you think gOS ran faster and better than Ubuntu?

If you guessed "yes," you'd be wrong.
rijelkentaurus

Dec 03, 2007
3:16 PM EDT
Ubuntu and their kin are sorta pokey. I have a ThinkPad t30 that has a P4m 1.6ghz and 256mb of RAM, and anything 'buntu feels like running through deep water. The new Mint (all in all a great distro) is so blasted slow I can't stand it, but Fedora 8 KDE was very fast and responsive. Perhaps KDE Mint will be better, but I ain't holding my breath. I may switch the lappy back to Fedora, but it's not the primary or even the secondary, so it ain't a big rush. I am curious as to how the new Mepis will be when it comes out. In my experience, Mepis was always fast and furious and didn't drag the PC down, referring to the Debian Mepis, not the 'buntu Mepis. Dunno why the 'buntus are bad about that.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 03, 2007
3:46 PM EDT
Mepis 6.5 was so slow on my test hardware, I couldn't hang with it long enough to do a review. I think that was the one based on Ubuntu.
azerthoth

Dec 03, 2007
4:21 PM EDT
Quoting:Ubuntu 6.06 LTS runs better than you'd think

A truer statement has never been made. If it ran worse than I thought it wouldnt boot in the first place ... wait I have actually seen that plenty of times when trying to help someone out. I switched them to Debian testing and their problems disappeared.

So the fact that it runs at all means it's doing better than I think it does.
ColonelPanik

Dec 03, 2007
4:39 PM EDT
azerthoth, B-B-B-But can any idiot use Debian? My dream has been to be "pure" Debian. However distros like Ubuntu sure make it easy to run LInux. You are a Linux Pro. Me, well I just dabble with this Linux stuff, no winders here but if my 'puter dies nobody cares except the Colonel. And Mrs. Panik, ha.

Just a desktop user, will that let me run Debian?
azerthoth

Dec 03, 2007
4:55 PM EDT
Debian holds your hand a lot less. Still for many years it was my main stay. Toward the end of our affair though I became convinced that the devs were paying less attention to the users and more attention to their petty squabbles and personal little empires.

Thats a seperate issue though. If you have been running Ubuntu then you should be able to step up and with some work and some research be able to do everything that your *buntu box does ... but better and with less bugs. Just dont expect training wheels.
rijelkentaurus

Dec 03, 2007
6:02 PM EDT
Quoting: with some work and some research be able to do everything that your *buntu box does

Agreed, but I don't think it will take too much work, the part that will look hairiest is in the install, and there are a ton of guides on getting that setup. Heck, there's even a GUI now. I first used Debian with Woody (OY, that almost sounds dirty!) and it scared the crap out of me because I only had disc 1 of 14 and didn't know it...nothing but the CLI. With Etch, I think anyone with a little Linux experience can get up and running with no problems. And if a more experienced user sets it up, I think Debian is a wonderful distro for a new user simply because it is so stable and prone to working for years at a time.
ColonelPanik

Dec 03, 2007
8:21 PM EDT
Are you guys just trying to get me to try this so you can watch my head explode?

When/if I get Debian running, how do I do the security updates? apt-get update >> apt-get upgrade?
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 03, 2007
8:33 PM EDT
Ubuntu is closer to Debian than you might think. It all comes down to what works better with your hardware.

Do a Debian desktop install and you'll be surprised at how many of the tools you use in Ubuntu are also there in Debian (most of them). The biggest omission is the Add/Delete Programs utility. You're "stuck" with Synaptic (and Aptitude and apt).

One thing -- in Debian, you get more tools, utilities and the like in the stock desktop install.

Still, most of what makes Ubuntu and Debian so "easy" is all the stuff that comes with GNOME.
azerthoth

Dec 03, 2007
8:41 PM EDT
ColonelPanik, where do you think the synaptic manager came from? The only package manager that Ubuntu has added is that silly PBI type thing, which was a poor mans rip off of synaptic to begin with. Nearly everything you learned while wearing your training wheels is applicable to Debian (including a good majority of Ubuntu's how-to's). You just have to unlearn a few bad habits that Ubuntu has *cough* sudo *cough* no root *cough*.

In comparison I can remember all that stuff, and doing it. I have moved on though and am much happier, I start with a LiveCD that only has a CLI, and in a few hours a perfectly streamlined custom compiled Gentoo system. No muss, no fuss, no what in the world is that package for anyway. Looking at it through those eyes, even Debian seems a tad simplistic.
rijelkentaurus

Dec 04, 2007
6:12 AM EDT
Quoting: Are you guys just trying to get me to try this so you can watch my head explode?

Yes.

Seriously, I think you'll have no trouble in getting Debian up and running. Perhaps you should try a VM first, it runs quite nicely inside of one.
ColonelPanik

Dec 04, 2007
6:29 AM EDT
The Debian "netinst" is in the oven now. Was that a smart way to go?

All of the posters to this thread MUST send me their phone # just in case there are any problems.

rijelkentaurus, /slap If I have doubts about Debian I have even greater doubts about this VM voodoo.

The Colonel will send updates from Debianlandia, if indeed he arrives there at all.
Sander_Marechal

Dec 04, 2007
6:54 AM EDT
Quoting:The Debian "netinst" is in the oven now. Was that a smart way to go?

Yes. That means it will install immediately from the latest packages on the internet and not from CD. That means you'll have all the latest packages so you don't need to update your system immediately after installing.

You'll need a fast internet connection during the installation of course.
rijelkentaurus

Dec 04, 2007
8:56 AM EDT
Quoting: rijelkentaurus, /slap

ColonelPanik, I'm going to have to start calling you CorporalPunishment. :^P

Post needs here, find answers here. I will help you anyway I can, dude. Debian is a wonderful thing. Of course, I use Fedora...but who's being picky? I have used Debian as the main in the past. Love it.
azerthoth

Dec 04, 2007
11:33 AM EDT
When ever you need it Colonel, it may take me a few minutes to drag answers from the back of my brain though. I haven't touched Debian or derivatives in awhile.
ColonelPanik

Dec 04, 2007
12:29 PM EDT
Ta
ColonelPanik

Dec 04, 2007
2:16 PM EDT
Help!

The test computer is ill. No video, tried two different cards/three monitors. Not even the BIOS splash. No beeps (beep codes still used?) MoBo dead?

But that HP ran 24/7 for 7 years! I learned what I know about Linux on that thing. Rambus RAM. Maybe one stick died?

New jobs for old workers: http://flickr.com/photos/digitaldust/88847257/in/pool-tuawri...
rijelkentaurus

Dec 04, 2007
3:31 PM EDT
Process of elimination...leave one stick of RAM in the board, take out NICs, etc, leave only video, see if it posts. And of course the "make sure all cables are securely in place" stuff. How recently was this PC used? Was it the main one?
ColonelPanik

Dec 04, 2007
6:07 PM EDT
RAMBUS 4 slots all slots must be filled. I tried swapping and if any of the four were bad I should have found it.

next: beep code: 1 123 123 1 (weird) BIOS??? ASUS/Award http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph06446...

Not the main one (whew) I have one of those little AcerPower 1000 desktop-notebook thingies for the main player. Cute.

The HP up until two months ago it was always running. Last two months, used it as needed.

Video: Both of the vid cards are AGP. Only one was in the machine when it went south, so, the card in the file cabinet should be okay. No luck swapping them. I am trying to find a PCI card to borrow. :€

I will go into New Orleans tomorrow and consult with a VooDooest? You good folks keep those thinking caps on (B_R your tin-foil thinking cap).

'preciate the help.
jdixon

Dec 05, 2007
6:46 AM EDT
> beep code: 1 123 123 1 (weird) BIOS??? ASUS/Award

Look here: http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html

One long and three short means video adapter failure.
ColonelPanik

Dec 05, 2007
8:14 AM EDT
jdixon, thanks. I am sure that its the AGP that is borked. Out to find a PCI card. More coffee!

:) Happy story (:

My son-in-law's laptop w/winders crashed (disk read error) I know that a winders crash may be a feature and not a problem. The lappy held the complete final to be turned in this week work for the lads masters degree! Of course being well educated he did not have any of it backed up.

Knoppix to the rescue, what else? My dear bride is in Albuquerque, NM and staying with our daughters family. and I am here in New Orleans, LA. She was able to put her Knoppix disk to good use and rescue all the documents! The Colonel provided a little telephone help desk kind of support.

Linux is so great.

rijelkentaurus

Dec 05, 2007
8:29 AM EDT
Quoting: :) Happy story (:

You had me at "winders crashed". I always like to see Linux come to the aid of poor, pitiful Bill Gates' software, lets people around you see what really good programming can get you, and for free...and for Free.
ColonelPanik

Dec 05, 2007
12:51 PM EDT
No joy in Mudville! Put in a PCI video card and still no vid. Same 1 123 123 1 beep code. So I think the seven year old machine can just get parted-out. Of course this puts the "Colonel installing Debian" show on hold.

Thanks for the help.

ColonelPanik

Dec 07, 2007
3:32 PM EDT
I am Pure. I am holy. At least you would think that the Colonel is an apprentice geek now.

Got a free computer from a friend and fed it the Debian "netinst.iso" coaster. WOW, w00t and thank you all for conning me into this! Its pure Debian, pure wonder. The truth is: This was easier than installing any Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS. So easy an enlisted man could do it.

This is a wired machine, but I may try it on the laptop for the wireless love.

Thank you all again, those who sent me their Ph # will be receiving large checks in the mail.

NoDough

Dec 07, 2007
7:24 PM EDT
>> Thank you all again, those who sent me their Ph # will be receiving large checks in the mail.

How you gonna mail a check to a phone number?
gus3

Dec 08, 2007
12:17 AM EDT
My cell # has an email address. Will that work? ;-)
Sander_Marechal

Dec 08, 2007
12:56 AM EDT
In th The Netherlands. We don't use cheques anymore. Cashing them is hugely expensive. Unless it's for more than $100 it's not worth it.
rijelkentaurus

Dec 14, 2007
10:23 PM EDT
Quoting: Mepis 6.5 was so slow on my test hardware, I couldn't hang with it long enough to do a review. I think that was the one based on Ubuntu.

My secondary laptop is a P4m 1.8ghz with a mere 256mb RAM (purchased for $75...what a steal!). Mint 4.0 with GNOME choked it so bad it was almost unusable...I wanted to cry when I used it, I think Windows XP would have been faster! I am now running Mepis 7.0rc2 with KDE...and it runs like a scalded dog! This thing is like a new laptop, Mepis 7 is absolutely incredible, I am really loving it. Heading back to Debian (and taking a few packages from Ubuntu still) has made all of the difference in the world. I think Mepis is back (finally) to the form that made it my first real Linux love...this is superior in performance even to Mepis 3.4.3...a rather legendary distro to Mepisites. Check it out!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!