ho hum

Story: This time for sure on mobile LinuxTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
herzeleid

Dec 07, 2007
1:26 PM EDT
For me and other early adopters, 1994 was the year of desktop linux. Every year since then has been the year of desktop linux for a growing number, and that will continue to be the case moving forward.

So, will 2008 be the year of desktop linux? absolutely, as was 2007, 2006, 2005....
tracyanne

Dec 07, 2007
1:47 PM EDT
I think the fact that Bullwinkle pulls any at all out of his hat, pretty impressive.

There are a number of indicators that make this years prediction more probable.

Vista - the slow uptake, the general belief that it's horrible (that's a useful meme from the Linux viewpoint) Low cost small foot print laptops and other computing devices, none of which are easy to run any Windows on. The general air of panic that seems to eminate from Microsoft - their efforts to make thier OS run on, ot make the hardware manufacturers build more Windows friendly hardware. The fact that inspie of itself the Linux community is actually marketing Linux, in some cases quite well. The fact that almost every Linux is a doddle to install and use. Ubuntu - to most non Linux users Ubuntu is Linux. On the other hand once they SEE a linux, it's not hard to get them to understand that Ubuntu is but one of many Linuxes. ODF, as it gives Business and Government a genuine ISO stand to insist on, for office applications.

There may be others, but I see those as the major indicators.

On the other hand we have

OOXML, which may yet get ratified by ISO, in which case every business and givernment will use Microsoft Office on Windows. Microsoft Sharepoint, which integrates Microsoft Office, Mickrosoft Exchamge, and a host of other Microsoft products, in a single convenient package (don't knock it, it sells big time) Silverlight, there are already quite a number of Silverlight enable websites that I can't access uisng Linux. Microsoft, Money talks very loud. Microsoft, in general, inertia is a bitch, ask NASA.

hkwint

Dec 08, 2007
11:42 AM EDT
Quoting:I think the fact that Bullwinkle pulls any at all out of his hat, pretty impressive.

Indeed. I am a believer of the S-curve; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logistic_curve

It's nasty to point out 'the year where the thing on the horizontal line' breaks through in my opinion. If I had to estimate, I'd guess were at -1 (on the horizontal axis) now.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!