Debian all rowdy

Story: Tips and Tricks for Linux Admins: Volatile DebianTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
ColonelPanik

Dec 13, 2007
5:22 AM EDT
Another TC classic. That volatile repositories stuff is scary, only admins should be volatile. The links on that ENP page gave me more good info, help is always good. Thanks again TC.

A brief question if I may: Is there any reason to think about the kernel version when buying hardware? I am building a Debian machine and would like to find the right motherboard (AMD) and video/sound boards to give me the least setup trouble.

jdixon

Dec 13, 2007
5:52 AM EDT
> I am building a Debian machine and would like to find the right motherboard (AMD)

My machine I built back at the end of May used a Biostar GeForce 6100-AM2 motherboard, and it seems to work perfectly with the 2.6.21 kernel. Unfortunately, that motherboard no longer seems to be available from either MWave or NewEgg, though the Biostar GeForce 6100-M9 (which has the short lived socket 939 which predated the AM2 socket) is.

My wifes machine, purchased a few months earlier, uses what I believe is an MSI K9N6SGM-V (I'd have to check at home to be sure), and it also seem to work perfectly with the 2.6.21 kernel, though the sound and network did not work with the 2.6.17 kernel of Slackware 11. I did a writeup on the installation and submitted it to LXer at the time. If you look in my submission history you should find it.

As a general rule, the newer the motherboard, the more problematic older kernels are.

Unless you're into 3-D effects or 3-D gaming, the 6100/6150 onboard NVidia graphics should meet your needs, as should any of the newer 7xxx versions.
dinotrac

Dec 13, 2007
8:30 AM EDT
CP -

The only thing I can really think of that might give you pause with regard to kernel version is wifi.

I have found that, depending on the card you have, wifi drivers might or might not be available/require a little tinkering/etc.

For example, I used to have a realtek USB dongle whose driver got orphaned by Realtek. It wouldn't compile with the newest kernels. May not be true any more, but was true a few months ago. Right now, my mythbox is semi-orphaned. I wanted to use the new wifi stack so I used the latest driver for it. Unfortunately, development for that driver has moved forward to the 2.6.24 kernel and I find it more troublesome to backport to the 2.6.23 kernel than I want to mess with, so...I'm stuck until a stable 2.6.24 comes out.

At any rate, I don't think you should give it too much thought unless you're doing wifi, and, even then, you'll probably be ok.
montezuma

Dec 13, 2007
6:15 PM EDT
Great link to the Joerg Schilling all in brawl TC. Bloody Berlin anarchists......

Linux certainly has it's share of VERY strong personalities. I wonder why that might be ;-) ;-) ;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!