More like him

Story: Seller Beware - Hemorrhage of Customers AheadTotal Replies: 20
Author Content
ColonelPanik

Dec 19, 2007
4:44 AM EDT
helios rocks! Gets my vote for Best Of 2007.

I just love asking vendors and service providers "Do you support Linux?" Read what Helios says to those who dismiss Linux as a "hobbiest" thing. Hemorrhage indeed.

No more trying to get along! That is over. Done. Finished. LINUX, just Linux, period! If you ain't a Linux user, you ain't!

FYI Mr. Torvalds says LEE NUX.

jezuch

Dec 19, 2007
5:31 AM EDT
Quoting:FYI Mr. Torvalds says LEE NUX.

Almost every non-English speaker says that ;)
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 19, 2007
10:33 AM EDT
I prefer LIE-nucks over LINN-ux or LEE-nux, but I don't expect anybody to go along with me.
hkwint

Dec 19, 2007
12:32 PM EDT
Quoting:FYI Mr. Torvalds says LEE NUX.

That depends. If a Non-English speaker would have to pronounce LEE-NUX it would sound like LAY-NUX to an English speaker. So, for a non-English speaker Linus just says Linux.
gus3

Dec 19, 2007
8:25 PM EDT
LEE NOOKS

"Mr. Nooks, please pick up a courtesy phone..."
moopst

Dec 19, 2007
9:13 PM EDT
I prefer a girl named Lynn who has cooties. Lynn-icks.
hkwint

Dec 19, 2007
9:40 PM EDT
RMS prefers to pronounce Linux like 'GNUH'.
Scott_Ruecker

Dec 19, 2007
11:15 PM EDT
RMS just can't get over the fact that GNU, as a word that is not easy to remember, does not roll off the tongue easily..and to top it off, in spite of all of his efforts to get people to call it what he feels is its proper name. All it has done is make more and more people aware of 'Linux'. Not GNU/Linux.

I would say that just about any other sound in the English language rolls off the tongue easier than a hard 'G' sound. He could not have chosen a worse sounding name, heck it's even easier to say 'G-System' or 'G-OS' than GNU.

He has, and can be, a brilliant man but not being able to get past what other people prefer to call it and getting caught up in correcting everyone makes him look foolish. Who cares how smart he is if it's impossible to talk to him unless you use the words he likes in the order he likes them.

Here he is, the man who created the idea of Free and Open Source Software and all he seems to care about is nagging people about it's proper title and laying guilt trips on those who would dare to call it Linux.
gus3

Dec 20, 2007
12:26 AM EDT
Quoting:all he seems to care about is nagging people about it's proper title and laying guilt trips on those who would dare to call it Linux.
He has made a lifestyle of nagging people, beginning with the founding of the GNU project.
hkwint

Dec 20, 2007
2:14 AM EDT
Should have been called GNL though...
Sander_Marechal

Dec 20, 2007
2:22 AM EDT
Quoting:heck it's even easier to say 'G-System' or 'G-OS' than GNU.

Maybe we should start calling it Gee-Nuu then, Like genie, but with a different ending :-)
wjl

Dec 20, 2007
3:05 AM EDT
Maybe we should invent 'apt-get gnu', additionally to 'apt-get moo'? ;-)
hkwint

Dec 20, 2007
5:04 AM EDT
Quoting:Maybe we should start calling it Gee-Nuu

In fact, Genux did exist on paper, but it's dead now. RMS didn't have anything to do with it by the way.
DarrenR114

Dec 20, 2007
9:36 AM EDT
Quoting:Here he is, the man who created the idea of Free and Open Source Software and all he seems to care about is nagging people about it's proper title and laying guilt trips on those who would dare to call it Linux.

RMS didn't create the idea of Free Software - he simply formalised, with a license of his own creation, the process that most programmers/systems analysts were using amongst themselves in "user group" and "computer club" settings.
dcparris

Dec 20, 2007
7:16 PM EDT
That depends. If a Non-English speaker would have to pronounce LEE-NUX it would sound like LAY-NUX to an English speaker. So, for a non-English speaker Linus just says Linux.

Well, the European 'i' (like 'fit' or 'kite') gets pronounced as "ee", like 'feet'. The European 'e' (like 'get') gets pronounced as "ay", as in 'gay'. I refuse to pronounce 'Linux' as 'Linnux', since there is no 2nd 'n' to justify shortening the 'i'. so I just pronounce it 'Lee-nux'.

:-)
Scott_Ruecker

Dec 20, 2007
8:06 PM EDT
Quoting:RMS didn't create the idea of Free Software - he simply formalised, with a license of his own creation, the process that most programmers/systems analysts were using amongst themselves in "user group" and "computer club" settings.

True.

My point was that here is a guy who is regarded by 'Joe Public' as the man who started FOSS and all he seems to care about is if you use the words he wants you to use and in the order he prefers. Getting stuck on correcting everyone's grammar is not what he should be spending his time on.

If he really cared about FOSS, he wouldn't be preoccupied with correcting your grammar.

Sander_Marechal

Dec 21, 2007
1:21 AM EDT
Quoting:Well, the European 'i' (like 'fit' or 'kite') gets pronounced as "ee", like 'feet'. The European 'e' (like 'get') gets pronounced as "ay", as in 'gay'. I refuse to pronounce 'Linux' as 'Linnux', since there is no 2nd 'n' to justify shortening the 'i'. so I just pronounce it 'Lee-nux'.

For me, it depends on what language I speak. When speaking in Dutch I say "Lee-nux". When speaking English I say "Linnux".
jacog

Dec 21, 2007
1:32 AM EDT
Crikey... maybe I'll just call it Martha.
wjl

Dec 21, 2007
2:18 AM EDT
dcp> Well, the European 'i' (like 'fit' or 'kite') gets pronounced as "ee", like 'feet'. The European 'e' (like 'get') gets pronounced as "ay", as in 'gay'. I refuse to pronounce 'Linux' as 'Linnux', since there is no 2nd 'n' to justify shortening the 'i'. so I just pronounce it 'Lee-nux'.

Well, the American 'u' is often pronounced as the European 'a', like in the famous four-letter-word - while we Europeans call it more like 'oo'. So for me, it's Lee-nooks...
jezuch

Dec 21, 2007
3:19 AM EDT
Quoting:Well, the American 'u' is often pronounced as the European 'a', like in the famous four-letter-word - while we Europeans call it more like 'oo'. So for me, it's Lee-nooks...

Note also that some languages distinguish long and short vowels (which is a pain for learners whose primary languages don't, for example me), which might make this example a bit inaccurate. But only a bit :)
NoDough

Dec 21, 2007
5:35 AM EDT
> ...we Europeans call it more like 'oo'. So for me, it's Lee-nooks...

In the late 90s, one of my coworkers read an interview of Linus where he was asked how to pronounce Linux. The article parenthesized the pronunciation like this (lin-nooks). My coworker decided that meant it was pronounced (lin-NUKES) and hounded me about for an hour.

Finally, I said, "Well, I dunno. I didn't read the BUKE! Can I take a LUKE, or have you already TUKE it home?"

That pretty much ended it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!