Oh Matt...

Story: KDE 4: The Latest In Linux ImprovementTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
hkwint

Dec 19, 2007
6:25 AM EDT
Accidentally clicked a story of Matt Hartley (coffee shortage I guess), but after the first sentence I knew something was wrong:

Quoting:I was unable to attend the KDE release party at Google headquarters

Hehe, Matt writes a KDE4 review but doesn't know the release party is in January?
jacog

Dec 20, 2007
12:47 AM EDT
I thought his one was quite funny also:

Quoting:... but Evolution support is a must for the typical enterprise environment.
tuxchick

Dec 20, 2007
7:26 AM EDT
jacog, Steve Ballmer is proof that the theory of evolution is seriously flawed.

Oh, you meant Evolution the mail/groupware client. Never mind.
montezuma

Dec 20, 2007
9:38 AM EDT
> Steve Ballmer is proof that the theory of evolution is seriously flawed

You don't mean that he is "intelligently designed" do you? ****SHUDDER*****
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 20, 2007
2:57 PM EDT
Hmmmm.... Evolution .... Outlook ... Evolution ... Outlook -- Even Ballmer might have to think about it.

extradudeguy

Dec 20, 2007
7:39 PM EDT
As stated here once before: http://madpenguin.org/cms/index.php/?m=comments&id=8079

There is a loooong queue, it happens. As for the invitation itself...

Sent Oct 22nd, 2007 by a Wade Olsen and Troy Unrau from release-event@kde.org

Partial quote: "This is an official invitation to the KDE 4.0 Release Event at Mountain View, California. This event is being held to celebrate the release of KDE's latest computing environment, KDE 4.0. Alongside numerous KDE community members, this event has been opened to our industry partners, and members of the press. This is an opportunity to take a closer look at the KDE 4.0 release, and mingle with the KDE community at large. Presentations will be held on the architecture of KDE 4.0, prominent KDE applications, KDE's various communities and plans for the future. This event provides an invaluable opportunity for members of the press, I.T. industry and the KDE community to meet in person and discuss the free software movement."

I would encourage you to /research/ a flame, as it helps to drive the point home a little better. ;)

And the response, direct from Wade himself when told of the lack of attendance was as follows:

"Matt,

I'm sorry that you cannot attend, but thanks for the response.

Wade"

Anyone knowing Wade would be encouraged to check, if there is doubt. And yes, there was also an invite to CES Showstoppers. This has been documented as well.

Considering the factual error in this particular case on the side of a Lxer reader, figured it might be worth clearing up as blanket assumptions tend to be messy. Opinions however, are always welcome with the morning coffee and newspaper comics. As always, it has been...interesting.
jacog

Dec 21, 2007
12:08 AM EDT
So, the correction to the Evolution/Outlook reference is also in this mysterious long queue then? I am sorry, but any publication that offers news and even editorials on current topics usually tries to stay current, and as such should really not have a long content queue. Mr Hartley is amusing... I like him the same way I like Ed Wood's Plan 9 From Outer Space. He takes a beating on forums like this because he is a bad writer, not becuase people make unresearched claims/flames.
ColonelPanik

Dec 21, 2007
6:32 AM EDT
jacog: Right you are. And you will be pleased to know Mr. H is still writing, badly.
hkwint

Dec 21, 2007
7:14 AM EDT
Probably I don't get it?

1 Dec '07 Sebastian Kuegler said KDE4 will be released 14 Jan '08.

http://dot.kde.org/1196525703/

3 Oct '08 Wade said:
Quoting:On January 17-19, the KDE community will present KDE 4.0 with a Release Event at the Google headquarters in Mountain View, California.

http://dot.kde.org/1191409937/

Matt Hartley states: I was unable... (that's past tense).

Surely doesn't make sense to me?

So as you see, I did do some research, but it doesn't make sense.
tuxchick

Dec 21, 2007
7:16 AM EDT
I should stay out of this.. but...cannot...resist...Matt, it's up to YOU to get your facts right. It's not the job of your readers to do your homework for you. Your generic "the editor queue is like way long is why I never get it right" excuse was fun for a little while, but its novelty is wearing off.
hkwint

Dec 21, 2007
7:22 AM EDT
OK, I found what seems like 'the official KDE4 release event site":

http://www.kde.org/kde-4.0-release-event/

States 17-19 Jan 08 (so maybe you can make it after all Matt?). So if I did make a mistake, I would apologize, but I don't think there are two KDE4 release events (they even don't have money to fly in all their devs for only one release event I read); one in the past and the one coming. But if I'm wrong, please show me so and forgive me.

Quoting:the editor queue is like way long

Ours (whole queue) is about 24h! (Scott and Sander, did we tell you do a fine job?) ED: OTOH we don't write that many editorials.
hkwint

Dec 21, 2007
7:29 AM EDT
The mentioned KDE4 release site states:

Quoting:This will be the first time for the international KDE project to have a conference of that size held in America

"This" refers to the event which will be held Jan 08. "Will" like in the quote above is indicating an event in the future, while 'was' (like in the sentence "I wasn't able to attend) normally relates to an event in the past, at least they thought me so during my English lessons.
extradudeguy

Dec 21, 2007
8:53 AM EDT
All, debating something that is not even going to happen in my life is a moot point, don't you think? ;)
extradudeguy

Dec 21, 2007
9:15 AM EDT
Tuxchick, I fail to see what "facts" are missing in this article? I would encourage you to provide examples of factual errors for my immediate review if you like. As always, /factual errors/ will be published as a correction, if indeed, the errors are not merely opinion differences.

Evolution is a better PIM than Kontact based on my own experience with it. And yes, I feel that it is a "must have" for the enterprise workstation. This is my opinion.

As for your personal feelings on how my editor posts the content or which titles he chooses for each piece, that is not in my realm of responsibility. You of course, will disagree with this. I in turn, will shrug.

If this is regarding the KDE release party, this would only be an issue if I had posted dates, which I did not.

Stating it as:

"...but I just couldn't make it."

That was how I chose to refer to it as the article could have been posted at any point. I chose my words accordingly. Despite the brief mention, the release party had next to nothing to do with the article - that is obvious.

hkwint

Dec 21, 2007
11:21 AM EDT
Quoting:All, debating something that is not even going to happen in my life is a moot point, don't you think? ;)

You are actually quite funny! Thanks for making me laugh!
extradudeguy

Dec 21, 2007
11:59 AM EDT
hkwint: There are no plans on attending any Linux events in the near future. Should have elaborated I guess. So the humor would be in...?

At any rate, keep on commenting if you choose. However, the only one I will be addressing a response to will be Tuxchic as she made a relatively tactful comment that I wanted to have her expand on. After that, I'm out. It's been fun, but I do not really want to further this pointless comment thread. After all, this is not Digg.com.

Happy Holidays

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!