A disturbing trend

Story: There's more to Linux than UbuntuTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
garymax

Dec 28, 2007
1:55 PM EDT
I agree that the majority of articles praising Linux seem to connect Ubuntu with it at the hip. The problem is that public perception is easily drawn to conclude that Linux is Ubuntu instead of the other way around.

Ubuntu is like a fast food chain. Sure, it will satisfy your cravings. The price is right. And you'll find it around every corner. But for those in the know who are more discriminate in their choice, they will eat at an upscale restaurant every time.

With this said it would be an interesting project to find out just how many people start with Ubuntu but then progress onto something else. Once people have been introduced to Linux with Ubuntu they can then use the distro that is more suited to their needs and tastes.

Credit Ubuntu with bringing Linux to the masses, but be careful not to give more credit where it isn't due.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 28, 2007
2:02 PM EDT
Whether or not I use it as my primary OS, I think Ubuntu is very good. We could have worse candidates for "leading" Linux distribution.
tuxchick

Dec 28, 2007
2:14 PM EDT
Yeah, like Linspire.
nikkels

Dec 28, 2007
6:39 PM EDT
Yes , I like PCLinuxOS

tracyanne

Dec 28, 2007
7:11 PM EDT
Quoting:Yeah, like Linspire.

yes
rijelkentaurus

Dec 29, 2007
4:51 AM EDT
Ubuntu, with its Debian base, has the potential to be a very good OS. However, in my experience it moves like sludge. I think it will not be long before Red Hat makes a move (I think it's in the process now) to expand on the desktop. The new OS version with all of the MP3 licensing is the first move. Considering that Dell sells a boatload of Red Hat servers, it's quite likely that Red Hat will have the clout to get its OS put on the same PCs that Ubuntu is on, and probably more. And I think Red Hat is substantially better than Ubuntu. (Let me say that Debian proper rocks.)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!