drivel, dribble, either way it's poo

Story: Has GNOME finally killed off KDE in the Ubuntu interface wars?Total Replies: 6
Author Content
tuxchick

Dec 29, 2007
8:44 PM EDT
A nine-second google search (I timed it) found this:

Quoting: ...development efforts will be directed towards KDE 4 and releasing Kubuntu 8.04 with the option of using either KDE 3.5 or KDE 4.

Users currently running Kubuntu 6.06 will be able to upgrade through the usual path to Kubuntu 8.04, keeping to the KDE 3.5 release series, and will receive the usual 18 months of support for that release. Future Kubuntu releases are likely to be based on the KDE 4 series.
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kubuntu-devel/2007-Decembe...

I really really really really really really really really really (quick breath) really really really really really really really really really hate this kind of dopey "analysis." Where is the death scene? Where's the bit where Gnome stomps the life out of KDE, roasts its poor dead carcass over a fire, and gnaws it down to the bones? It makes me cry when Enderle looks smart in comparison.

Canonical made this decision, and it's in the first paragraph of the cited message:

Quoting: "LTS" is a commercial support commitment provided by Canonical Ltd, who shoulder the financial and administrative burden of doing so; as such, it is entirely their decision as to whether or not they provide that support for a particular release.

This is a bit controversial, as some folks think that supporting 3.5 in Hardy LTS wouldn't be all that hard, since LTS = security fixes only, no bugfixes or updates. (I think the LTS releases are useless anyway- 3 years of no updates or bugfixes? I'll stick with Real Debian Stable; they actually fix things.)

Interestingly, the mailing list post cited by the article doesn't support the author's claims of KDE doom, but his bias is clear:

Quoting: During this period of LTS flux, perhaps it might mean that people can focus on getting a single interface that works well and compete in the hearts and minds of the great unwashed with Windows and Mac, instead of driving a chuffing great wedge between two competing interfaces. The general public does not need additional reasons to be confused about Linux...

There's the ultimate strawman for propping up that tired old "Let's make Linux as lame as Mac and Windoze": The General Public, aka "the average user." No such beast exists, except in the minds of columnists who have nothing else to support their positions. And there are no plans at all to create a single interface for Ubuntu. What would you call Unified Ubuntu, U-Buntu? Unbuntu? Unibuntu?

Reminds me of when Red Hat was making such a big deal out of Bluecurve, which supposed to blend the best of Gnome and KDE, but was really just a color scheme. You can't blend KDE and Gnome- they're based on two completely different, incompatible toolkits. KDE is made of Qt, which is based on C++. Gnome is GTK-based, which is C. It's like saying "let's blend the best features of a squid and a camel in an exciting new hybrid!" But hey, as long as we're fantasizing, let's throw in Fluxbox, Enlightenment, and XFCE too- just whirl 'em all together in a big magic blender.
gus3

Dec 29, 2007
10:59 PM EDT
> But hey, as long as we're fantasizing, let's throw in Fluxbox, Enlightenment, and XFCE too- just whirl 'em all together in a big magic blender.

And then you'd get Compiz Fusion.

(Which, on my big powerful machine, is nothing but broken...)
jezuch

Dec 30, 2007
2:49 AM EDT
Quoting:Where is the death scene?

I THINK it goes like this: When someone wants Ubuntu, [s]he wants it with The Support. Hence they want LTS. But LTS has GNOME so they get GNOME. Now remember that Ubuntu == Linux => KDE dies. Every link of that chain is bogus, but whatever... ;)
hughesjr

Dec 30, 2007
2:55 AM EDT
LTS is only a very small amount of Ubuntu installs (the enterprise users)... so I am not sure why this is a problem.

RHEL (paid) and CentOS (free) have KDE support in the currently released version 5 through March 31st, 2014 ... maybe KDE enterprise users should look there.
dinotrac

Dec 30, 2007
4:23 AM EDT
>It's like saying "let's blend the best features of a squid and a camel in an exciting new hybrid!"

Mmmm. Squamel. Just imagine tearing into a great big dish of squalimari.
usacomputertec

Dec 30, 2007
6:28 PM EDT
jezuch your right. If Ubuntu takes over the world (Like they want to) then they will cary Gnome along with it. But personally I don't think Ubuntu is as popular as everyone thinks it is. A lot of times I find myself finding posts in their forums helpful to my distribution. So maybe all those site hits aren't from people downloading it?
tuxchick

Dec 30, 2007
7:13 PM EDT
Dino, out here in redneck-land we like to dip our squalimari in hayoli sauce.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!