wow what a skewed comparison

Story: Sun Shines In Solaris 10, Linux ComparisonTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
herzeleid

Jan 03, 2008
6:40 PM EDT
The fact that someone at sun did the comparison should be the first tipoff, but typical of the fast and loose handling of the facts is the statement that solaris runs on more hardware platforms than linux. Actually they used weasel words to make that impression, but left themselves some technical wiggle room.

At any rate, linux runs on, what, off the top of my head, x86, sparc, mips, arm, alpha, power, mainframe - that's 7 completely distinct architectures, and there are more. Solaris OTOH runs on what, sparc and x86? The rest of their arguments are similarly (more or less) flaky.

I like solaris, it's a decent OS, but when they talk trash and come across like a sleazy used car salesman in a cheap suit, it really takes the shine off their image.
ajt

Jan 04, 2008
8:43 AM EDT
I agree it's a faked argument. They are really comparing all of Solaris, versus one vendors Linux distro. Solaris has some strong features and some weak ones, and comparing all that to just Red Hat Enterprise/Fedora is unfair and makes Sun look stupid...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!