Be glad when he is gone

Story: Gates on OLPC, Windows Home ServerTotal Replies: 24
Author Content
ColonelPanik

Jan 08, 2008
6:51 AM EDT
Command and conquer.

Conquer

Conquer Con"quer (k[o^][ng]"k[~e]r), v. t. [imp. & p. p. {Conquered}; p. pr. & vb. n. {Conquering}.] [OF. conquerre, F. conqu['e]rir, fr. L. conquirere, -quisitum, to seek or search for, to bring together, LL., to conquer; con- + quaerere to seek. See {Quest}.] 1. To gain or acquire by force; to take possession of by violent means; to gain dominion over; to subdue by physical means; to reduce; to overcome by force of arms; to cause to yield; to vanquish. "If thou conquer Rome." --Shak. [1913 Webster]

OLPC is getting their machines to kids in the Third-World. Enough? Maybe not but its a start.
tuxchick

Jan 08, 2008
8:46 AM EDT
I dunno colonel, the whole "interview" was amateur hour. What's this "you guys" stuff? And Gates, as usual, sounds like a simpleton. Celebrity worship at its finest. Or worst? Anyway, ick.
hkwint

Jan 08, 2008
9:42 AM EDT
"We've always believed in cheap PC's"

Now, can't take him serious, do we?
thenixedreport

Jan 08, 2008
10:59 AM EDT
"We've always believed in cheap PC's"

Cheap as in price or as in P.O.S.? A clarification would be nice on his part.
tuxchick

Jan 08, 2008
11:07 AM EDT
Quoting: Cheap as in price or as in P.O.S.?

I believe the results speak for themselves.
thenixedreport

Jan 08, 2008
11:11 AM EDT
"We've always believed in cheap PC's (so we can milk those dupes for all they're worth)"
jdixon

Jan 08, 2008
11:38 AM EDT
> We've always believed in cheap PC's.

Actually true. Microsoft loves cheap PC's. It's the OS and applications they want to charge exorbitant prices for.

Of course, now that extremely low PC prices are making it obvious how exorbitant their prices are, they're finding it somewhat of a two edged sword.
techiem2

Jan 08, 2008
11:42 AM EDT
"Wait..I can buy this hardware for $200. You're telling me that I have to add at least $100 to add Windows to it..or I can install this Linux thing free?"
rijelkentaurus

Jan 08, 2008
12:43 PM EDT
'Doz: Hardware: $200 Operating System: $200+ Office Suite: $200+ Antivirus: $59 Antispyware: $19

'Nux: Hardware: $200

$678+ versus $200? And the $200 runs nicely and includes every application the average person needs (and everything a power user could dream of)? It really starts looking good for Free Software. Consider the performance of the 'Doz machine and it looks even better.
tuxchick

Jan 08, 2008
12:52 PM EDT
Don't forget the Internet tax of at least $10 per user per month caused by spam and malware-spewing Windows botnets (increased bandwidth, storage, and abuse departments), plus the cost of regular reinstalls and other routine duct tape-n-chewing gum repairs. And lost productivity. And reduced system efficiency from all the resource sucked down by the poor feeble anti-malware apps, which are doing their best, but when you sail a sieve the finest vats of caulking in the world are not good enough.
ColonelPanik

Jan 08, 2008
12:55 PM EDT
And the loss of self esteem.
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 08, 2008
1:11 PM EDT
I agree that the falling cost of hardware is the perfect opening for free, open-source operating systems and applications.

I spent a bit of time in Staples over the weekend. Checked out the new Dells (they don't have the best deals in comparison with the Dell Web site and other ads). Vista runs pretty doggishly. Crapware everywhere.

You can still buy the full version of Windows XP -- and they'll only charge you $200. Pretty good deal for a seven-year-old product, dontcha think?
tuxchick

Jan 08, 2008
1:15 PM EDT
Yes Steve, that is a good deal, considering that it has all the useful functionality of Vista minus all the DRM junk.

All together now, everyone sing:

o/~ That's innovation!
ColonelPanik

Jan 08, 2008
1:21 PM EDT
God is on the job! http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/346431_antiochmsft08....

It will be great to see Redmond on it's knees.
thenixedreport

Jan 08, 2008
1:32 PM EDT
I'm red in the face from all that laughing......

ColonelPanik. That was awesome! ROFLMAO!

Hey man..... do you like writing by any chance? I'm looking for more active writers on my blog, especially those with a sense of humor..... :)
tuxchick

Jan 08, 2008
1:38 PM EDT
Thanks colonel, it's always fun to find someone to loathe even more than microsoft :). And not easy!
thenixedreport

Jan 08, 2008
1:43 PM EDT
I don't loathe the pastor. I just find the whole thing hilarious........... Now imagine what would happen if a large group of grass roots activists from multiple backgrounds with multiple viewpoints were to purchase enough stock...................
hkwint

Jan 08, 2008
1:44 PM EDT
Read this a while ago, very great quotes (recalling by heart):

"A fully working Eee PC - officu suite included - is cheaper than an iPod Nano, and costs about the same amount of money as the Windows Vista Ultimate operating system".

So there's every reason to believe Microsoft believes in cheap PC's. However, there's no reason to believe Microsoft believes in cheap PC's with Windows. XP currently doesn't even run on the OLPC, because it takes Microsoft more than a year to 'port / cut down' XP!
thenixedreport

Jan 08, 2008
1:48 PM EDT
Man, they need to be thanking those software pirates. You know, I have found them to be much more innovative than Microsoft itself. How sad is that?
hkwint

Jan 09, 2008
5:06 AM EDT
Sure, I installed a 'pirated' Windows XP version for my sister (probably she thinks Linux is equal to Gentoo/Linux so she thinks it's hard, but that's because of me), which directly included Windows Vista's theme (before Vista was even sold) office suite, Java, Flash, all updates for that time, Windows Genuine Advantage (Microsoft site didn't complain) and Nero all pre-installed; hassle-free. OK, the ones who made it screwed up a bit by changing the word 'Start' in the start menu with "Atjih" (the name of one of the guys who made it) and putting their name in every title bar, but it works rather well. I seriously hope there's no sypware on it (didn't realize back then).

Funny thing is, they used a Linux partition on that CDROM to boot their own 'installation' menu, which could be used to install 'their' Windows XP from a sort of squashfs, but do some other neat things too. Rather innovative, not able to run on an OLPC though.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 09, 2008
5:38 AM EDT
> Funny thing is, they used a Linux partition on that CDROM to boot their own 'installation' menu, which could be used to install 'their' Windows XP...

Fascinating. I'm always amazed at the inventiveness of the individual.

Walking through a "prison museum", seeing all the astounding "home made" weapons and other contraband, etc.

I think one of the reasons that F/OSS evolves so fast is that these same astoundingly inventive people now have a near 0 "barrier to entry" to doing good work, the same way "going bad" has always been an outlet for those whom the "establishment" never seems to reward.

(one of my reasons for being against trade licensing.)
ColonelPanik

Jan 09, 2008
8:42 AM EDT
Bob_Robertson, That is the whole Linux experience for me. Astoundingly inventive people, working in a community!

thenixedreport, TC thinks I am illiterate so I guess there will not be any writing. But I am going to drop in on your blog.
thenixedreport

Jan 10, 2008
8:17 PM EDT
ColonelPanik,

Don't be swayed by what TC says. If writing at all interests you, just let me know. ;)
tuxchick

Jan 10, 2008
8:34 PM EDT
aw colonel, don't be that way. I didn't say "illiterate", I said "fount of literary excellence." Or at least I meant to; it's a common typo.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 10, 2008
9:07 PM EDT
Quoting:I didn't say "illiterate", I said "fount of literary excellence." Or at least I meant to; it's a common typo.

Yeah. The keys are like right next to each other.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!