Congratulations on keeping to schedule!

Story: KDE 4.0 ReleasedTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Jan 11, 2008
6:24 AM EDT
I'm impressed. Congratulations, KDE, for releasing on time. A rare and wonderful happening.

Debian won't have it in for a few months, as the various applications catch up, like Kmail, but luckily KDE3 and KDE4 applications will coexist without conflict, at the cost of installing (and loading, such is life) yet another set of libraries.

I'm looking forward to it!
number6x

Jan 11, 2008
7:30 AM EDT
Actually if you want kde 4 and debian...

The try the debian kde 4 live cd: http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/kde4livecd.html

It is still in 'beta', but it is available now.

It is from the debian kde team.
dinotrac

Jan 11, 2008
7:34 AM EDT
Was the KDE 4.0 release always intended to be more or less featureless, ie, get the platform up and release it, then add in apps, etc?

If not, then it would look a little like Vista -- take out all the things that are slowing you down so you can get something out the door that slows your customers down (latter part applies only to Vista, of course).
tuxchick

Jan 11, 2008
8:09 AM EDT
wow dino, the Vista Business edition that came with my shiny Thinkpad T61 (brag, what a great machine) only ate up 14 gigs, with hardly any functionality. It's a good thing they stripped out everything, or I would have had to order a larger hard drive. It only came with an 80GB drive.
dinotrac

Jan 11, 2008
8:14 AM EDT
TC -

I envy your Business edition. None of the home editions, not even the pricy Premium, will join a Windows network domain.

Fortunately, I got lots of advice around here and am in the process of getting my notebook XP Pro'd. Actually, I hope to VirtualBox it with --? Haven't decided on the distro. It is all complicated by my primary workstation taking regular oopses -- I suspect a corrupt Reiser filesystem, perhaps exacerbated by a bad drive which is being replace today and upgraded to opensuse 10.3.

All this crappy tango for a crappy OS with even more crappy and infuriating variations and just plain nasty marketing (money soaking) decisions so I can run 2 (count em) apps needed for my wife's business.

Sigh.

I HATE WINDOWS!!!!
azerthoth

Jan 11, 2008
8:20 AM EDT
Yes congratulations on taking a page from Ubuntu's book of release on schedule regardless of the actual state of software.
rijelkentaurus

Jan 11, 2008
8:50 AM EDT
Quoting: I HATE WINDOWS!!!!

Amen!
NoDough

Jan 11, 2008
9:47 AM EDT
Quoting:All this crappy tango for a crappy OS with even more crappy and infuriating variations and just plain nasty marketing (money soaking) decisions so I can run 2 (count em) apps needed for my wife's business.
I know you said you tried WINE with those apps, but have you tried it lately. They've really made incredible progress in the last year.
dinotrac

Jan 11, 2008
9:58 AM EDT
>I know you said you tried WINE with those apps, but have you tried it lately. They've really made incredible progress in the last year.

I haven't, and that's a good suggestion. Bigger problem is corporate support to get the new versions loaded up/enabled. They are not of a mind to hand me the disks and say "Got to town."

Hate IT departments.
NoDough

Jan 11, 2008
10:05 AM EDT
>> Hate IT departments.

Every IT department has at least one Linux person. Find them. Make them your contact.
dinotrac

Jan 11, 2008
10:53 AM EDT
>Every IT department has at least one Linux person

Well, every IT department of any size.

NoDough

Jan 11, 2008
10:57 AM EDT
>> Well, every IT department of any size.

I dunno. I'm a one-person IT department.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 11, 2008
11:52 AM EDT
We have a two-person IT department and it has three Linux geeks :-D

(I'm officially a developer, not IT but I spend a lot of time there with my fellow Linux geeks).
tuxchick

Jan 11, 2008
1:13 PM EDT
I echo dino's "crappy" statement. Vigorously.
thenixedreport

Jan 11, 2008
5:47 PM EDT
Hey dino,

I'll tell you a cool trick you can do with your Vista machine. Hold down the key with the MS logo + the e key on your keyboard for 5 seconds. ;)
hkwint

Jan 12, 2008
5:24 AM EDT
Quoting:Was the KDE 4.0 release always intended to be more or less featureless, ie, get the platform up and release it, then add in apps, etc?

I'd say: Yes. Here's the longer answer, right from the horses mouth:

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/97910/index.html
Bob_Robertson

Jan 13, 2008
7:02 AM EDT
> Was the KDE 4.0 release always intended to be more or less featureless, ie, get the platform up and release it, then add in apps, etc?

Well, the Debian KDE team is leaving v4 entirely out of the _next_ stable release, saying that the apps simply don't exist yet.

"Right now it's just a development platform."

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!