CNR

Story: New CNR.com is a work in progressTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
celticgeek

Jan 16, 2008
9:42 PM EDT
The CNR definitely needs work, and I have only tried it on my Linspire 6.0 system.
Egon_Spengler

Jan 17, 2008
7:38 AM EDT
My condolences on both your CNR and Linspire afflictions.
Libervis

Jan 17, 2008
3:29 PM EDT
Condolences indeed. Who needs this? Oh right, people that are supposed to be so dumb they can't even click Applications > Add/Remove programs.

CNR, just another way of shoving the proprietary software you don't need down your throat through "premium offerings". Wait long enough and this will be your major *nux spyware delivery channel too.
tuxchick

Jan 17, 2008
8:38 PM EDT
I think the CNR concept is good- make it easier to find applications. That's the biggest defect in the existing batch of Linux installers- you pretty much have to know what you want first, though Adept-Installer has gotten very nice and has applications sorted in similar categories to the system menu. But. Yes, you knew a But was coming. They've been working on CNR for how many years now, and it's still an incomplete hunka junk? And some folks think FOSS should innovate like the proprietary shops.
thenixedreport

Jan 17, 2008
10:04 PM EDT
"And some folks think FOSS should innovate like the proprietary shops."

Just like politicians figured that public education would improve due to "No Child Left Behind...." (a.k.a. No Child Gets Ahead)

Anyhoo, in my view of things, if you combine a good system with a vamped up AutoPackage, things would get even better. AutoPackage files are distro-neutral, meaning that they can be used to install programs (for one user only or for everyone) without having to scan an RPM/DEB database to make sure that the required files are there (it looks on your hard drive for real).

AutoPackage could very well be the .MSI of *nix platforms if they keep up the innovation. ;)
jdixon

Jan 18, 2008
6:56 AM EDT
> Just like politicians figured that public education would improve...

You really want comments from me and Bob, don't you? :)
Steven_Rosenber

Jan 21, 2008
4:38 PM EDT
I'm not all that happy with the PBI concept in PC-BSD, and I don't quite see what CNR will add to Linux package management. I think the Ubuntu Add-Delete Programs add-on to Synaptic is a better way to go -- it makes the existing package-management tools (apt, Synaptic) just that much more "friendly" to users.
thenixedreport

Jan 21, 2008
8:20 PM EDT
Understood. A good system for anyone to use would have the ability to add/remove software in a way that anyone can understand in addition to having the staples of a good system (web, e-mail, office needs, instant messaging, media playback....).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!