Why is this?

Story: Why You Shouldn't Upgrade Your OSTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Jan 20, 2008
8:38 AM EDT
> Why is this?

Because you've never used Debian Stable, you sod!
number6x

Jan 20, 2008
8:50 AM EDT
Bob,

If you turn on the 'between the lines' plugin and view the article in firefox, you will see that the reason Matt thinks you should not upgrade is than in six to twelve months Vista will be more stable and hardware that can run it will be cheaper.

Let's see if, after sp1, is shipped Matt writes an article on how great it is; and that it is so good you didn't upgrade until now.

The Wag-ed press has to do something until Vista is ready to ship... err really ready to ship that is. People might try upgraded versions of Linux and find it has everything they need for so much less
techiem2

Jan 20, 2008
8:53 AM EDT
(haven't read the article)

As gentoo doesn't really have "releases" in the general sense (as I understand it the releases are basically a snapshot of the portage tree and base system that they package when there have been significant changes), I never "upgrade" my OS. I check for updates once in a while and may or may not update, depending on what's updated, how I'm feeling at the moment, etc. It's also been my experience with gentoo that waiting for 6 months or more and then updating everything at once tends to be a bad idea.

Generally I'm more likely to run into weird problems, broken stuff, etc. doing a mass update than just updating a few things every few weeks or whatever.

As for other distros, as others can probably attest to (has it gotten any better in the last few years?), I always found it better to just do a fresh install of a new release rather than an upgrade, as upgrades for me ALWAYS broke something or other..."hey, why isn't my CD burner working anymore?".

Of course, I don't know how this applies to debian as I haven't really used it.
gus3

Jan 20, 2008
9:11 AM EDT
> it has everything they need for so much less

Less cost, and less PC hardware.

(Clarifying for any new readers.)
Bob_Robertson

Jan 20, 2008
11:22 AM EDT
> If you turn on the 'between the lines' plugin...

Ummm... I was trying to make a funny. :^)

But, for those who have not used Debian, when a "stable" is released it has been tested and re-tested more than than most releases are tested prior to their retirement.

Sander_Marechal

Jan 20, 2008
1:21 PM EDT
Quoting:Matt thinks you should not upgrade is than in six to twelve months Vista will be more stable and hardware that can run it will be cheaper.

Vista will suck until retirement. Windows 7 a.k.a. Blackcomb a.k.a. Vienna will come in 2009. MS reconfirmed that again not two weeks ago. Which just confirms that Vista is a bigger flop than Windows ME was.
hkwint

Jan 20, 2008
1:48 PM EDT
(haven't read the article neither, but am going to)

> Why is this?

Many possible reasons. -Because I use Gentoo and it will take more than three days to update, and I started yesterday, -Because 'common netiquette' says I shouldn't rsync more than once a day - and I already rsynced two times today, -Because I simply can't find the update for my Commodore64, -Because my cracked WinXP-SP2 I need for running Autodesk Inventor (little chance with Wine) won't let me, -Because it's really hard if not impossible to update Windows without internet, and my ISP is down today, -Because I didn't agree to the EULA coming along with the updates, I don't want freakin' Walt Disney distributing updates to my computer because they deem their content more secure if they change what's ought to be _my_ software -Because the update wants to install .NET framework (happened to me today, forget it!) -Because my cracked WinXP-SP2 version is in French (it really is!) and I'm not that good at French, so I can't understand what it wants to update -Because Windows Vista is a downgrade, not an update -Because "Update" is not an option I can choose in this BSOD -Because updating the maps on my navigation system costs me lots of $$$, and therefore I prefer to use the 'old roads', more specific the ones which existed three years ago, when my map was created. -Because this OpenBSD box has run this IRC bot fine for the last four years, and an update will crash my uptime record
jacog

Jan 21, 2008
12:12 AM EDT
MH doesn't publish his articles for 6 months either.
number6x

Jan 21, 2008
4:54 AM EDT
hkwint,

He's talking about upgrading a major version, not just applying a patch or doing updates. It is a very windows centric way of looking at how you get your OS.

(I never patch or update production boxes until testing the effects first. Don't want to break anything for a paying client!)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!