ext3 question

Story: Three Ways To Access Linux Partitions (ext2/ext3) From Windows On Dual-Boot SystemsTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Jan 20, 2008
12:16 PM EDT
May I assume that the journal is written out during a normal shutdown, thus making it OK to access the filesystem as ext2 without making a muck of things?

Just a thought.
gus3

Jan 20, 2008
12:45 PM EDT
(My answer subject to correction, as usual.)

Nothing I have encountered in ext3 documentation states that the journal is committed on unmount, except by implication from the tune2fs man page:

Quoting:WARNING: Removing an external journal from a filesystem which was not cleanly unmounted without first replaying the external journal can result in severe data loss and filesystem corruption.
However, after removing the journal, it is a good idea to run e2fsck, just to be on the safe side.

Contrast this with Solaris' "logging" feature, which can be added and removed at will in fstab. Just reboot, and the addition or removal of logging takes effect immediately.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 20, 2008
1:48 PM EDT
> Just reboot, and the addition or removal of logging takes effect immediately.

Which itself implies a controlled unmount.

ext3 goes to ext2 the same, maybe back the other way too, once the .journal has been created.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!