Ubuntu Ultimate Problems - Is it just me?

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
techiem2

Jan 26, 2008
1:26 PM EDT
I've been trying to test out Ubuntu Ultimate, but there seems to be something wrong with the ISO. k3b can't verify it after writing it. dmesg shows io errors when looking at the disc. I've tried 3 burns. Most machines I've put one in can't boot it, or boot it horribly slow. Qemu seems to fire up the iso fine (never loads the desktop properly though...but that could just be qemu), and I don't have this problem with other DVDs I've burned.
tuxchick

Jan 26, 2008
1:58 PM EDT
Can you mount the ISO? mount -o loop iso-name mountpoint

This is another way to see if the ISO is OK or not. You should see all the files inside the ISO.

Is there a checksum to compare?
techiem2

Jan 26, 2008
2:25 PM EDT
The iso mounts fine. The file size and md5sum match what the site says. But for some reason once I burn that ISO to disc... Weird eh?
Sander_Marechal

Jan 26, 2008
2:29 PM EDT
Does the disk mount fine itself? What if you create an ISO from your disk. Does that one work? Does the md5sum of the newsly created ISO match the one from the original ISO?
pat

Jan 26, 2008
3:16 PM EDT
Can't seem to find Ubuntu Ultimate at http://www.ubuntu.com. I wonder what Ubuntu thinks about them using their trademark.
Abe

Jan 26, 2008
3:49 PM EDT
Quoting:Can't seem to find Ubuntu Ultimate...
Is this the Ultimate you are looking for?

http://ultimateedition.info/

Abe

Jan 26, 2008
3:56 PM EDT
Quoting:But for some reason once I burn that ISO to disc... Weird eh?
@techiem2, Did you write it to a rewritable disk CDRW? That might be causing the weirdness you are seeing. I had similar issue when I burnt on CDRW. Try on CDR disk.

techiem2

Jan 26, 2008
5:10 PM EDT
It's a DVD-R. I can't mount the disc after I burn it. So...I don't think I can make a new ISO of it if the system won't even read it... I'll have to try on my laptop later if it will see it...
gus3

Jan 26, 2008
8:52 PM EDT
Have you tried a dummy burn? Watch for buffer underruns...
Bob_Robertson

Jan 27, 2008
4:36 AM EDT
Is it Ultimate Edition, or _Signature_ Ultimate Edition?
cyber_rigger

Feb 14, 2008
9:57 AM EDT
You might want to check the md5sum of the physical disk that you burned.

This is one way to check a CD.

sudo md5sum /dev/cdrom

or a DVD

sudo md5sum /dev/dvd

techiem2

Feb 14, 2008
11:47 AM EDT
That's the problem, my system wouldn't read the discs after burning them. It did the same with 1.7. A friend burned one and that worked fine for me. It's like there's something about those ISOs in combination with my burner or discs.... I burned a Mandriva DVD directly after a UUE DVD to be sure it wasn't my burner going bad. Mandriva DVD was perfect, UUE DVD couldn't be read by system.
tracyanne

Feb 14, 2008
12:08 PM EDT
Sounds like the ISO was corrupted. Mind you I couldn't get a good copy of UUE to run properly anyway. It failed to recognise hardware that Mandriva had no trouble with.

On the other hand I have MythBuntu 7.10 installed on my media machine, and it runs like a charm.
techiem2

Feb 14, 2008
12:23 PM EDT
That's what it seems like, but 2 different versions, one downloaded twice to be sure, and the ISOs match the checksums given? It's just....weird.

The once I booted it up with friend's Disc it seemed kinda nice, but didn't play with it much.

I'm planning to order my laptop with Ubuntu Studio preinstalled since ZaReason offers it as an option and I've kinda wanted to play with it. Of course, I'm going to have them leave most of the disk unpartitioned so I can do my normal gentoo install and have space for testing other distros. :)

ColonelPanik

Feb 14, 2008
12:26 PM EDT
Was your DL a torrent? If so, try a FTP DL.

For some time now all the torrents I have tried were borked. No problems with FTP or HTTP DLs though.
gus3

Feb 14, 2008
9:09 PM EDT
Try slowing down the burn to 4x or 12x. Anything I share with others, I burn at 4x, to accommodate the differences between CD drives.
techiem2

Feb 14, 2008
10:04 PM EDT
I've never had a problem with any other CD/DVD I've burned, so I'm pretty sure it's not a speed issue, especially when the disc won't read on the drive that burned it.... I'll have to try a different brand disc at some point and see if that makes a difference, but I wouldn't think it would since all the other dvds I've burned are fine...but ya never know...the whole thing is just really weird...

You cannot post until you login.