Sad

Story: Bill Gates’ Retirement Merely a Political Lock-in CrusadeTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
ColonelPanik

Feb 01, 2008
8:38 AM EDT
You still SUPPORT m$? For money?
NoDough

Feb 01, 2008
8:57 AM EDT
Although I believe you are attempting to twist the definition of 'SUPPORT', the answer is yes.

I have a job with a company that uses Microsoft Windows, among other OS's, in their day to day operations. Part of that job is to keep those systems running so the employees can do their work. In that respect, I support Microsoft Windows.

And, yes, I accept money for this. I have a family to support. I would happily trade this job for one working with FOSS systems, with equal or better pay, within commuting distance of my home. No such position is currently available.

If you have a problem with that, then you have a problem.
gus3

Feb 01, 2008
9:02 AM EDT
Your choice. I do factory work instead. Same results (keeps bills paid, but not Bills), and at the end of the shift, my life is my own again.
NoDough

Feb 01, 2008
9:06 AM EDT
> I do factory work instead.

You missed this part of my post...

>> ...with equal or better pay...
gus3

Feb 01, 2008
9:27 AM EDT
I didn't really miss that; I elided it. I also didn't miss "I have a family to support." This shows our different priorities.

Just sayin', nothing more.

(And I repudiate anyone who states I am trying to claim some moral high ground.)
ColonelPanik

Feb 01, 2008
9:47 AM EDT
NoDough, What I am twisting is your tail. If I get one person to walk away from evil my life is a success. Wish ya luck.
dumper4311

Feb 01, 2008
9:48 AM EDT
Don't take too much guff, NoDough. It's a fine thing to fight for ones principles, and refuse to compromise, but it's generally more effective in the real world to interact with your average user and promote change when you're not seen as a rabid crusader.

If you recognize the value of an open software and standards model, and share that in a cooperative manner with users who are frustrated or curious enough to pay attention, there's plenty of room to steal users/customers away, right under the nose of the "evil empire".

And then, as gus3 mentioned, your life is still your own. Your not a slave to your crusade, or "the beast" of proprietary software; you can still be a productive and well integrated member of computing society.

Not to say that anyone here isn't, I'm just highlighting a less extreme form of advocacy.

And there's an important distinction here, you're not serving "the beast" by supporting Windows users, you're supporting USERS who most likely don't have (or don't know they have) a choice. Why is code written? To serve USERS. Why do we work in the IT industry? for the same purpose. When code is subverted to service only PROFIT, or to the other extreme - FREEDOM for it's own sake, then it's time to re-examine our motives.
gus3

Feb 01, 2008
10:24 AM EDT
Quoting:It's a fine thing to fight for ones principles, and refuse to compromise
Especially when those principles involve keeping your kids fed and clothed.
jdixon

Feb 01, 2008
10:57 AM EDT
> You still SUPPORT m$? For money?

No. I support the company I work for. The are unfortunately misguided enough to use Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office. However, as with NoDough, there is no equivalent FOSS opening in my area.

The priorities are simple: God, family, and work; in that order.
tracyanne

Feb 01, 2008
12:51 PM EDT
Quoting:However, as with NoDough, there is no equivalent FOSS opening in my area.

And that is why I work for the company I work for. Additionally I am very skilled with Microsoft technologies, comes from having worked with them for years before I discovered Linux and FOSS, which tends to place me at the bottom of the list when applying for Jobs that require experience with Linux FOSS tool sets (lack of experience in that area). My only real hope is Mono and C# on Linux.

Unfortunately there isn't a great deal of opportunity to promote Linux where I work, there is only myself and my boss. It means I feel frustrated most of the time, not a great work environment, but we, my partner and I, do have to pay bills and eat, and we do want our piece of land. So I wear a happy interested and involved face when I'm at work.
NoDough

Feb 01, 2008
1:14 PM EDT
>> ...and we do want our piece of land.

I watched your discussion of that in another thread with interest.

It's no 40 acres, but my wife and I are happy on our 10 acres in the forests of North Carolina. :-) Unfortunately, a developer recently purchased the 800 acres of forest that borders our land on the north. So we'll probably see that forest give way to houses in the next year or two. :-(
tracyanne

Feb 01, 2008
1:19 PM EDT
Quoting:So we'll probably see that forest give way to houses in the next year or two.

Bugger.

We'll probably end up with less than 40 acres, but that's what we're working towards. 10 to 15 will give us the ability to do some small scale farming. But mostly what we want to be able to do is make goat milk cheese.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 01, 2008
1:29 PM EDT
Actually, I only support Microsoft products for sex. My wife's machine will always run Windows because she uses several Windows-only applications.

Mariage: Legal prostitution.
ColonelPanik

Feb 01, 2008
1:40 PM EDT
Boys and Girls, I meant to offend no one. I understand about that feeding the family. Just trying for some balance in the Universe. Me against Gates and Ballmer. My army is small, always looking for recruits.

About those choices, work, where to live, politics or religion, vegan or carnivore. Don't be afraid to make decisions. Nobody will ever make more mistakes than I did. Have fun!

Abe

Feb 01, 2008
4:58 PM EDT
Quoting:If you recognize the value of an open software and standards model, and share that in a cooperative manner with users who are frustrated or curious enough to pay attention, there's plenty of room to steal users/customers away, right under the nose of the "evil empire".

And then, as gus3 mentioned, your life is still your own. Your not a slave to your crusade, or "the beast" of proprietary software; you can still be a productive and well integrated member of computing society.

Well said Dumper. I agree totally and it is part of the reason why I still work at the company I work for.

I too work in IT supporting users and getting paid for it. I have no problem with it. Actually I like supporting Windows. I know, I too find it strange coming from me. But looking at it from Dumper' perspective, that is why I like it. I got the chance not only to sway users to use FOSS, but also management who now are seriously looking into bringing FOSS apps. in.

It is not only nothing wrong with that, it is actually a good opportunity.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!