omg - spread this

Story: Microsoft Cuts Off Access To Old Documents and why open formats matter!Total Replies: 5
Author Content
wjl

Feb 08, 2008
9:29 AM EDT
Just put that onto my own page, for those who still refuse(d) to learn until now
techiem2

Feb 08, 2008
11:47 AM EDT
Lovely isn't it? Due to the "security risks" of opening old files, they're gonna block you from opening them unless you hack the registry. This has been known about for some weeks now. Of course, we all know it's not really about "security risks" (files don't generally have risks...it's the program and what it does with the content of the file that has the risks - i.e. the program has to open the file and EXECUTE that macro for it to nuke you...), it's all about pushing people to upgrade office and lock out competition.
jezuch

Feb 08, 2008
1:54 PM EDT
Quoting:Of course, we all know it's not really about "security risks"

I think it's about "insecurity", as in psychology.
hkwint

Feb 08, 2008
2:05 PM EDT
This is what Microsoft means when it says: "We cannot use ODF because it isn't backwards compatible" I guess.
wjl

Feb 08, 2008
3:09 PM EDT
That's so plain stupid of them. Ok; let them commit suicide if they want. I suggested dropping proprietary file formats on my page, and not for the first time.
thenixedreport

Feb 08, 2008
7:22 PM EDT
ODF is superior in my opinion, and I have been using it for a long time myself.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!