meh

Story: Booting Linux in Less Than 40 SecondsTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
herzeleid

Feb 10, 2008
7:34 PM EDT
I tend to boot linux once every few hundred days or so, so I might see some benefit from this tip in 2009 or 2010.

Abe

Feb 11, 2008
7:52 AM EDT
Quoting:... so I might see some benefit from this tip in 2009 or 2010.

OTOH, this is very useful and attractive tip for those who have laptops, they wouldn't keep their laptops running that long especially when traveling.

In corporate environments, most users are now getting laptops instead of desktops and they sure will be very happy with this feature. It will save us energy, time, and money for the corporations.

Sander_Marechal

Feb 11, 2008
11:48 AM EDT
Quoting:In corporate environments, most users are now getting laptops instead of desktops and they sure will be very happy with this feature.

Don't count on it. A near 10 minute boot time for XP is the perfect excuse to come into work, switch on your computer and grab a cup of coffee and/or a cigarette with your co-workers and have a chat. Giving them a 40 second Linux boot means they'll have to start working immediately :-)
Abe

Feb 11, 2008
12:11 PM EDT
Quoting:Don't count on it...
Good point. Change it from users to CEOs will be very happy.

jdixon

Feb 11, 2008
12:55 PM EDT
> ...to CEOs will be very happy.

Any CEO who thinks he's going to get productive work out of anyone before that first cup of coffee needs to look for a new job.

Edited complete fubar typo of coffee.
hkwint

Feb 11, 2008
4:04 PM EDT
Indeed. However, what about this scenario:

Instead of powering on XP and drinking coffee for ten minutes, the user can leave the computer of for 10 minutes, drink coffee and then power it on. 10 minutes of 'electricity' are saved this way.

Kidding aside, isn't suspend to RAM what happens if I tell XP to go 'Stand-by'? It is back together with my still running applications in 40 seconds too. I'm always a bit confused by (ACPI?) power states...
Sander_Marechal

Feb 11, 2008
9:48 PM EDT
Suspend to RAM is like not shutting down your computer at all. We're spoiled with our Linux machines that can have average uptimes of years. Windows can't do that. You'll get slow and buggy behaviour after just a few days. Especially on a desktop system. So instead of a ner 10 minute cold boot in the morning you'll have one at $RANDOM point during the day when you reboot just because Windows became too slow to work with.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 12, 2008
11:21 AM EDT
Suspend to Disk, in Kpowersave, works just fine on my Mom's laptop. However, because the firmware for her Broadcom network card doesn't get loaded at the right time in the boot sequence, it doesn't come back up with the rest of the machine.

I may force it to work by changing the init sequence, but only because of the thrice-damned Broadcom POS.

If Suspend to Disk (STD? not a cool acronym) worked, the time it takes to "boot" would be much less important. As others have noted, there aren't many reasons to reboot a Linux machine in the first place.

Folks are thinking in the Microsoft "reboot to solve problems" mode.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!