Here's my prediction

Story: Tips and tricks: What is the 2038 bug? Is my system affected? How do I fix this issue?Total Replies: 20
Author Content
tuxtom

Feb 11, 2008
9:19 PM EDT
I predict that in 2037 I will be a very handsomely paid 72 year old consultant highly sought after to "fix" the impending doom this "bug" is set to bring in the New Year.
nikkels

Feb 11, 2008
10:04 PM EDT
Yeah, Maybe I also can make some buks out of that bug. I will be 91 by then !!
zenarcher

Feb 11, 2008
11:10 PM EDT
I will be 92 then, so figure that will be the least of my worries!
Sander_Marechal

Feb 11, 2008
11:26 PM EDT
I'll "only" be 58. Good enough to rake in the money!
zenarcher

Feb 12, 2008
12:16 AM EDT
The problem will probably be resolved by someone who hasn't even been born yet! :)
theboomboomcars

Feb 12, 2008
5:33 AM EDT
I am hoping that we have moved to 64bit computing or beyond by 2038.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 12, 2008
6:56 AM EDT
During the Y2K chicken-little festival, Linus Torvalds was asked about it.

He said, there is no Y2K problem with Linux, since it uses standard Unix time, and there won't be a rollover until 2038.

The interviewer jumped on it, asking what it was, and Torvalds gave simple description. Ok, so the interviewer goes on, what are you going to do about it?

"Well, it's simple enough to change the counter from 32 bits to 64 bits, a simple thing that wouldn't even be a minor version change, which will take us to the heat death of the universe. But by 2038 hopefully we'll be using something more advanced than Linux."

Hahaha, even Torvalds can be wrong! Linux Forever! Heat death of the Universe, here we come!
number6x

Feb 12, 2008
7:16 AM EDT
In the vein of '40 amusing facts about Linus Torvalds' and Linus v. Chuck Norris... http://www.linuxscrew.com/2007/10/28/fun-chuck-norris-vs-lin...

Linus Torvalds causes the heat death of the universe, when he feels a chill.
ColonelPanik

Feb 12, 2008
8:06 AM EDT
"Don't claim to have a config option, if you don't actually have the UI to change it."

Linus said it so it must be true.
gus3

Feb 12, 2008
9:52 AM EDT
"vi" is a user interface. I use it all the time to change config options.
tuxchick

Feb 12, 2008
9:58 AM EDT
You scoffers! You will pay for your lack of preparedness. I'm already prepared for Y3K, and I will laugh at your starving, cold selves when you beg to enter my comfortable secure Y3K lair. I may throw you a crust or two, but that's all you'll get. haha!
Bob_Robertson

Feb 12, 2008
11:01 AM EDT
I'm wondering if any COBOL programmers had the forethought to have themselves frozen to be ready for the Y10K problem...
tuxtom

Feb 12, 2008
11:26 AM EDT
All I know for sure is that my Slackware 11 server will still be running strong with nary a reboot. Wait, I forgot about the impending catostophic electrical grid failure in 2020. One reboot then.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 12, 2008
11:42 AM EDT
I had a Debian server online from 1996 to 2003 with only three reboots. One because of upgrading the kernel, one because of moving the hardware to a new site, and one because of the grand California brown-outs.

Not bad, I think.
number6x

Feb 12, 2008
11:55 AM EDT
_Bob,

I wrote a Rexx routine that uses the CLIST edit macro in ISPF to take care of the YYYY to YYYYY expansion in the billions of COBOL programs that will still be running in the year 9999.

It even re-compiles the source after editing with a simple TSO submit of a PROC. Its in a mayonnaise jar on Funken Wagnel's back porch closely guarded by IBM watchdogs.

Now we just have to find someone to do the PL/1 portion of the script and we'll be all set for Y10K.

I'll let my descendants take care of documenting the fix fo the suits who do things usually called 'Corporate compliance'. They'll need the opportunity to charge big credits for the consulting work.
ColonelPanik

Feb 12, 2008
12:40 PM EDT
I hope they have Fiber to the Home, er Hole, in the perpetual-care section.
tuxtom

Feb 12, 2008
3:11 PM EDT
COBOL, PL/1, JCL, RPG...I had them all surgically removed with a labotomy when I found Perl.
happyfeet

Feb 13, 2008
7:10 AM EDT
Hey number6x - cool "Carnac the Magnificent" reference - but it's spelled Funk & Wagnall..
number6x

Feb 13, 2008
7:37 AM EDT
thanks happy
tuxchick

Feb 13, 2008
8:20 AM EDT
Colonel, my fiber needs are met with a daily bowl of All-Bran.
ColonelPanik

Feb 13, 2008
2:06 PM EDT
TC, I guess we don't want to talk of download speed then.

The good news is that I talked ALLTEL out of $22. in roaming fees, craigslist is great, And my tomatoes are doing well.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!