The best Linux laptop is a MacBook Pro

Story: Why Linux Geeks Buy MacsTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
jkouyoumjian

Feb 12, 2008
8:06 AM EDT
I run Linux (Red Hat/CentOS) as a guest OS on a MacBook Pro using VMWare Fusion. It is a joy. Everything works and at full speed. The wireless network card works perfectly as do the other peripherals (track pad, keyboard, sound card, optical drives, etc). The video drivers are optimized by VMWare, so images render fast. Full-screen mode is fantastic.

No need to dual-boot. You can even run more than one guest OS at a time. With the "unity" mode, each VM runs in a its own window like a standard Mac application. When you roll the mouse over them they respond as normal. You can even cut and paste between. I installed a basic VM and made copies for specific needs. If something gets too messed up, I just delete the VM and start over...
theboomboomcars

Feb 12, 2008
8:34 AM EDT
Umm... Of course all the hardware works, it is emulated by the VM. When you actually run linux on a macbook and not just a VM It still pretty much just works.
hackmeister

Feb 12, 2008
9:38 AM EDT
I'm in the market for a new laptop. I'm learning towards either a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 or a Dell XPS M1330. Both are really nice machines that come with Linux pre-installed. I would never get an Apple laptop. I can't stand them as a company. In many ways they're worse than Microsoft. Yes, the cases are nicer than the average machine but they ARE over priced! That's the honest truth.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 12, 2008
11:04 AM EDT
I saw an HP in _bronze_ color recently, the keyboard was also a beautiful shade of light silver-copper.

Hardware differentiation through color? Sure, why not. Nothing else left since Apple went Intel.

I must say, the next laptop I get is going to be so very much prettier than this simple grey and black Vaio I got back in 2003.

Apple, if you ask them, declare openly that they are a _hardware_ company.
tracyanne

Feb 12, 2008
11:45 AM EDT
Quoting:I run Linux (Red Hat/CentOS) as a guest OS on a MacBook Pro using VMWare Fusion.

So you are really a Mac user, and you aren't actually running Linux on the Mac.
tracyanne

Feb 14, 2008
11:53 AM EDT
I just posted two No OS and or Linux preinstalled vendors, but they don't appear on the database.

Zepro Computers http://www.zepto.com/country/default.aspx who have a branch in Australia, and Pioneer Computeres Australia http://www.pioneercomputers.com.au/products/configure.asp?c1... who have a build your own option that includes Ubuntu.
gus3

Feb 14, 2008
9:07 PM EDT
Quoting:So you are really a Mac user, and you aren't actually running Linux on the Mac.
Only if he uses the Mac as his primary desktop. I ran GNOME in X on Windows for a while, so technically you could say I was a Windows user, but I sure wasn't using the Windows desktop.
thenixedreport

Feb 15, 2008
12:51 AM EDT
Keep yer eyes peeled.... when I get through with what I'll be writing in the near future, you may change your mind on the MacBook Pro being the best Linux notebook. ;)
herzeleid

Feb 15, 2008
10:12 AM EDT
> I ran GNOME in X on Windows for a while, so technically you could say I was a Windows user, but I sure wasn't using the Windows desktop.

OK, but you definitely weren't a straight up linux user either. Sort of a grey area there.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!