Sun / Virtualbox / MySQL

Story: Sun Microsystem acquires Innotek the makers of VirtualboxTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
jacog

Feb 14, 2008
1:03 AM EDT
So, is Sun then planning on becoming a significant player in FOSS ?

Where is all this going? And who are they going to acquire next? And why is there onion in my salad?
Sander_Marechal

Feb 14, 2008
2:14 AM EDT
Quoting:So, is Sun then planning on becoming a significant player in FOSS ?

They already *are* a significant player.
jacog

Feb 14, 2008
2:42 AM EDT
Depends on who you are, I suppose. They mean nothing to someone like me. Well, unless you count that wee office suite.

EDIT: OK, I take it back, they are significant. This is starting to sound like world domination moves though.

EDIT2: Ignore me, I am making no sense today - need more sleep.
ajt

Feb 14, 2008
3:26 AM EDT
They employ the Ian in Debian, they have released Solaris and Java under open source license, they released NFS, OpenOffice, bought MySQL and just bough innotek. They own a lot of stuff and have decent R&D expenditure. But do they know what they are doing? and will their shareholders let them do things properly?
wjl

Feb 14, 2008
3:42 AM EDT
Quoting:But do they know what they are doing?
Hey aj,

I'm following

http://blogs.sun.com/jonathan/

the blog of their leader & CEO, Jonathan Schwartz since a while - and I think that he knows what he's doing. Or at least that is a CEO with a great vision.

Quoting:and will their shareholders let them do things properly?
We can only hope that money and the stock market don't kill them.

cheers, wjl
dinotrac

Feb 14, 2008
6:33 AM EDT
>We can only hope that money and the stock market don't kill them.

We can only hope that they make money, because making money is what they're supposed to do, and making money is the only way they will be able to continue in the long term.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 14, 2008
7:16 AM EDT
A friend of mine has a Macbook from his work. Technically, he's not allowed to mess with the OS.

Oh, it still runs OSX (or whatever), but he runs in in Virtual Box. He also runs WinVista and WinXP on it, with the boot- and host-OS being Ubuntu.

He says it runs great, and the manager of IT where he works has questioned him about it to make sure he wasn't violating company policies. Nope, he's still running "the OS that came with it", as per policy, even if it's running in Virtual Box.

I'm the one who told him to look at Virtual Box. I hope it remains open at least until I have a system to try it with.
Abe

Feb 14, 2008
8:33 AM EDT
Quoting:But do they know what they are doing?
May be they don't know what they are doing (I doubt it), OTOH, they sure know that, if they don't get on the bandwagon to supply services and support for FOSS outfits, they will be out of business.

Quoting:...and I think that he knows what he's doing. ...
I think so too. Schwartz is taking the company in a new direction. From mainly hardware vendor to hardware and software services company. Without this move, Sun will fade away.

Sun made pretty ugly mistakes in the past and waited for a long time to see how far FOSS could go. Now is the time to make a serious move and they are.

No one can doubt or ignore their contributions to FOSS. Let's hope they continue.

ColonelPanik

Feb 14, 2008
9:00 AM EDT
Sun rise, sun set Swiftly flow the days.

Seems like all the FOSS/Linux "people" are going to be surfing a tsunami from now on.

Enjoy, you have earned it.
herzeleid

Feb 14, 2008
10:07 AM EDT
Did somebody say Schwartz? old clueless "Linux has no place on the server, period" Schwarz? Well, all I can say to sun is, "May the Schwartz be with you"...
Bob_Robertson

Feb 14, 2008
10:25 AM EDT
I remember when I put Linux on a SPARC-2 and it was _fast_. I would be very, very happy to have one of the UltraSPARC machines to play with. Oh well, no $$ no server.
wjl

Feb 14, 2008
11:15 AM EDT
Quoting:Oh well, no $$ no server.
Hehe Bob,

No Sun no cry? Naah - that was a song about something else me thinks... same here btw: they make nice, but a bit expensive hardware.
gus3

Feb 14, 2008
9:02 PM EDT
My SPARC was free. ;-)

It's a 32-bit castoff. My old company wasn't developing for them anymore, so I got one (and they got some shelf space).

Laser printer? Same way. Well, not that they were developing for them, just that inkjets are cheaper per page. And I'd wanted one ever since my first day in college. I got my dream, they got the shelf space.
thenixedreport

Feb 15, 2008
1:00 AM EDT
Hey gus,

Can you hook a brother up? :)
NoDough

Feb 15, 2008
4:34 AM EDT
>> Can you hook a brother up? :)

Ugh! I detest brother printers.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 15, 2008
7:57 AM EDT
Speaking of cast-off systems... I have a tale of woe.

When I was working in Japan, I had occasion to go into the server rooms of investment banks. In one particularly large investment bank's server room (a company which would be instantly recognized, so I won't mention it), I noticed SPARC pizza-boxes sitting on the floor up against the wall.

Not one or two, but a dozen per pile, dozens of piles, marching all along the wall in the raised-floor room, with more on some tables and on the floor.

Because of company security policies, it was _cheaper_ to _store_ them, in Tokyo, taking up space in the _raised_floor_ secure room, than to throw them away.

You can be sure I asked, and no, even stripping out all the HDs wouldn't make any difference.

I wish I could have been paid as much as that floor-space was costing them. Still is, as far as I know.
tuxtom

Feb 15, 2008
8:06 AM EDT
I have a friend who is an engineer at Sun here in San Diego. He tells me they throw tons of those things in the dumpster once a year or so. It would be cool to get one or two, but I gotta be honest, I got too much junk laying around anyway. Even though the cases look cool, I can go build a $200 box that will run circles around a cluster of them. The thrill of old, used server hardware wears off fast, especially when you go to clean out the garage (or closet).
gus3

Feb 15, 2008
8:29 AM EDT
Bob, sounds like the non-IT guys were setting IT security policy.
Bob_Robertson

Feb 15, 2008
1:00 PM EDT
A SPARC-2 was the first Unix box I really got to play on, so there is a nostalgia aspect.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!