LOL

Story: Discover the possibilities of the /proc folderTotal Replies: 25
Author Content
herzeleid

Feb 15, 2008
11:30 AM EDT
In the unix world, we call those directories.
ColonelPanik

Feb 15, 2008
1:33 PM EDT
Would a directory by any other name smell as sweat?

This is a killer page, or is it just me? There was so much stuff here that I never knew. Handy reference. Something to pass on to other beginners.
tuxtom

Feb 15, 2008
2:00 PM EDT
It's a good page. I knew a few of them, but not all of that. Very useful.
NoDough

Feb 15, 2008
2:32 PM EDT
>> Would a directory by any other name smell as sweat?

Umm, did you mean to misspell that or do your directories really smell as perspiration?
herzeleid

Feb 15, 2008
2:34 PM EDT
The /proc filesystem is a treasure trove of information - and they say linux isn't innovative. Other unices e.g. Solaris have a rudimentary /proc filesystem, but it's really rudimentary, and contains only process id information, at least last I checked - nothing like the wealth of data available in the linux /proc
jezuch

Feb 15, 2008
3:17 PM EDT
Quoting:The /proc filesystem is a treasure trove of information

There's also /sys - but only for those of much courage :)
tracyanne

Feb 15, 2008
4:32 PM EDT
Quoting:In the unix world, we call those directories.

If they are folders, then why is it Directories Services?
tuxtom

Feb 15, 2008
4:40 PM EDT
>> Would a directory by any other name smell as sweat?

It's a hard working directory.
ColonelPanik

Feb 15, 2008
7:33 PM EDT
Carp, er cr@p, spelling is not among my strong points. But you can sort of translate what I post. And keep zinging me for it, I deserve it.
herzeleid

Feb 15, 2008
7:43 PM EDT
> If they are folders, then why is it Directories Services?

There's a lot of ambiguity around terminology these days, just like the confusion over the two totally different protocols which are both called "secure ftp" -

Personally, I would have side-stepped the possibility of confusion by referring to the subject of the article as "the /proc filesystem"
tuxtom

Feb 15, 2008
8:49 PM EDT
I'm not zinging you, Colonel, I think it became a brilliant play on words.

And I agree with herzeleid...why get all worked up over semantics when we know darn well what we're reading and talking about anyway? I think they call attempting to win such arguments "leading by a chin".

Question: It's easy to create an icon that looks like a folder, but how do you create an icon that looks like a directory?
gus3

Feb 15, 2008
10:02 PM EDT
Quoting:Question: It's easy to create an icon that looks like a folder, but how do you create an icon that looks like a directory?
A book with an old telephone receiver on the cover. Just don't color it yellow.
tuxtom

Feb 15, 2008
10:14 PM EDT
Enlightenment (courtesy of digg): http://turbomilk.com/truestories/cookbook/criticism/10-mista...
jezuch

Feb 16, 2008
3:03 AM EDT
I actually remember when Microsoft renamed "directories" to "folders"... Bad ol' days ;)

Quoting:the /proc filesystem

Actually it's "proc filesystem" - without the slash. "/proc" is a common mountpoint. /me loves nitpicking ;)
ColonelPanik

Feb 16, 2008
6:33 AM EDT
TT, I was laughing with you, and I never take offense at anything said here, except when someone defends the products/company from Redmond.

This /proc stuff is great. Those of you that are quibbling about the nomenclature have hit on a pet peeve of mine. Once long ago my first day on a new job, the most used item in our work was called by four different names by four different journeymen. I learned, just like I am learning the "terminology" for the Linux stuff. But it does confuse the noobs to no end. How much confusion does it take to send them to another OS? Case in point: SourceMage, http://www.sourcemage.org/ This distro is all about each person getting the distro he/she wants. I mean with SourceMage you can have it "Your Way". But look here: http://www.sourcemage.org/Glossary All I can say is LOL.

tuxtom, your link is just what I am saying HYPERLINK@turbomilk.com] The same rules should apply for words as they do for icons.
tuxtom

Feb 16, 2008
6:53 AM EDT
OK, then we'll call them "places" instead of folders or directories.
herzeleid

Feb 16, 2008
7:53 AM EDT
> Actually it's "proc filesystem" - without the slash. "/proc" is a common mountpoint.

You're right - I'd either say /proc or the proc filesystem but not the /proc filesystem - it's silly to confound a mount point with the name of a filesystem. I blame the late hour and the long day.
NoDough

Feb 16, 2008
7:35 PM EDT
>> OK, then we'll call them "places" instead of folders or directories.

Hierarchical organizers of digital containers. :)
tuxtom

Feb 16, 2008
8:06 PM EDT
Pointers to block addresses on physical or virtual partitions.
hkwint

Feb 17, 2008
4:56 AM EDT
Quoting:Pointers to block addresses on physical or virtual partitions.

That's just one possible implementation of directories, but the problem is it's not system agnostic, because it assumes the presence of partitions and pointers in first place.
tuxtom

Feb 17, 2008
7:42 AM EDT
What system doesn't use partitions and pointers at it's lowest level?
Abe

Feb 18, 2008
7:17 AM EDT
Quoting:OK, then we'll call them "places" instead of folders or directories.

--- / for root --- Trunk (tree) for mount points --- Branch for directory --- Leaf for file

Some one pick a synonym for fruit! :)

jdixon

Feb 18, 2008
7:43 AM EDT
> What system doesn't use partitions and pointers at it's lowest level?

Some older file systems did not have partitions. I don't believe the original FAT system used on floppies did, for example.
Sander_Marechal

Feb 18, 2008
7:49 AM EDT
Quoting:Some one pick a synonym for fruit! :)

Processes. Or executables :-)
Abe

Feb 18, 2008
8:11 AM EDT
Quoting:Processes. Or executables :-)

I like that, Fruit for Process is Perfect. This should make it easy for the layman to understand the structure of Linux File System. Now let's work on changing the mind set. :)

tuxtom

Feb 18, 2008
8:24 AM EDT
> Some older file systems did not have partitions. I don't believe the original FAT system used on floppies did, for example.

But it really has no relevance to /proc or the semantics of "directory" vs. "folder". While entertaining, this thread started as and will end as a useless academic digression.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!