We Need to Digest This

Story: Microsoft Makes Strategic Changes in Technology and Business Practices to Expand InteroperabilityTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
Abe

Feb 21, 2008
1:15 PM EDT
Wow, this is something that will take time to digest and assess.

It seems like Microsoft is feeling the heat and trying to prevent a FOSS Tsunami.

This could be the "If you can't beat them, Join them" to save Microsoft from total isolation.

This could be the greatest news for FOSS so far.

Wait a minute, this is Microsoft we are dealing with. Do you think they see the writings? or is it same old same old?

We are in no hurry, we should take our time to see how things develop.

herzeleid

Feb 21, 2008
1:35 PM EDT
All in all fairly useless for OSS - it essentially says that microsoft will not sue the hobbyist working in isolation, but the minute anyone tries to do something meaningful with this, ms will use the patent threat to extort payment.

Gee, I guess we're supposed to be grateful that microsoft will allow the isolated hobbyist to experiment.

Seriously, I don't know anybody writing code who doesn't want it to be useful, and that means getting it out there where it can be a part of something meaningful, not just sitting on a "hobbyist" hard drive.

This comes off as nothing more than another cynical and self-serving move by these folks, back to their old shenanigans. I suppose the ms PR folks are chuckling with delight at their own cleverness.
Scott_Ruecker

Feb 21, 2008
1:45 PM EDT
Looks to me like someone finally saw the writing on the wall..

Welcome to the new Microsoft..

I'll believe it when I see it.

GDStewart

Feb 21, 2008
2:19 PM EDT
I think the EU anti-trust actions are finally having the desired affect and forcing Microsoft to play nice (well, at least more fairly) for both legal and PR reasons. I'm still not a complete believer. I'l wait for them to deliver on their promises first. I just wish the US had stood behind it's anti-trust convictions and forced this action from them years ago.
Sander_Marechal

Feb 21, 2008
2:48 PM EDT
Quoting:I think the EU anti-trust actions are finally having the desired affect and forcing Microsoft to play nice

No. MS is trying to throw sand in the eyes of EU regulators. Everything they open up is totally FOSS incompatible. It's only free for non-commercial use. They screem "But look how much we opened up!" and hope that the EU doesn't see that it's useless to MS's only big competition: FOSS.
dinotrac

Feb 21, 2008
6:08 PM EDT
>It's only free for non-commercial use.

Which, by the way, is probably good enough for the law. I'm not familiar with European law, but, in the US, it is designed to protect and foster competition, not freedom.
gus3

Feb 21, 2008
10:18 PM EDT
PJ at Groklaw has an entry on this:

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20080221184924826

(Cross-posted.)
Abe

Feb 22, 2008
10:28 AM EDT
There is silver lining in dark clouds and we can make lemonade from lemon.

Even though Microsoft didn't intend it to, I believe this announcement has some good news. Or may be I am day dreaming.

Over the last several years, Microsoft tried to discredit FOSS using ways started by brush off and FUD spreading to law suits by lackeys and IP infringement claims. All of these efforts not only failed miserably, but also backfired by giving FOSS legitimacy and helped it to get more recognition that helped it flourish as a strong contender.

After realizing this fact, Microsoft tried a new approach to some how coexist with FOSS. Their first move was to get FOSS outfits, either by scaring or enticing them, to sign convent agreements on its own terms. The agreements they signed with Novell, Linspire, Xandros, among others, were window openings. When that didn't succeed bringing in beef to sink their teeth into after spending lots of dough, they realized that they have to make a different strategic move. This announcement is a supplemental plan to open a door to work with FOSS directly.

So much for Novell and others in terms of being MS favorites.

So where is the silver lining and how do we make lemonade from lemon!

1- Microsoft is planing to publish some of their technologies along with any patents they encumber. This is what the community has been asking for all along. It will give FOSS developers the chance to determine what patents has prior arts and which can be avoided or removed. The benefit of this is CIOs will be better assured of being less prone to be sued and the risk of being sued for using FOSS will be minimized.

2 - This announcement is an admission by Microsoft that FOSS is here to stay, and Microsoft is adopting to coexist with FOSS but still on its own terms. This is going to play pretty good for FOSS in the enterprise. CEOs/CIOs of Windows only outfits will read into this as a concession to and acceptance of FOSS in their IT operations. So the excuse of being prudent in bringing in FOSS has been substantially weakened if not pretty much removed.

3 – FOSS software already does a pretty good job in inter-operating with Windows without using any Microsoft technologies. If companies want FOSS to connect and mesh with their Windows infrastructure, all they need to do is pay Microsoft for CALs. If they don't wish that, it will become fairly obvious to them that keeping Windows is not a good business, they would need to avoid Windows platform all together and go all pure FOSS infrastructure and paying only during the transition period.

Scott_Ruecker

Mar 06, 2008
9:55 AM EDT
Check it out, we been quoted..

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/61805.html
tuxchick

Mar 06, 2008
10:04 AM EDT
Yay Scott! We are famous! Or perhaps more accurately, flame-ous :D
NoDough

Mar 06, 2008
10:30 AM EDT
Wow! You guys even got billed above /.

TC, you are _really_ looking good! Wait! (slaps self) I'm drunk on your power!
rijelkentaurus

Mar 06, 2008
1:17 PM EDT
Should Linux cost more? Am I reading that right? Is that a joke? Is this a satire? Or is it a serious question?
tuxchick

Mar 06, 2008
1:20 PM EDT
Mmm, drunk on power! No hangover :D
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 06, 2008
9:19 PM EDT
Quoting:I'm drunk on your power!

Gimme Gimme Some!!

LOL!

Jose_X

Mar 11, 2008
10:03 AM EDT
>> 1- Microsoft is planing to publish some of their technologies along with any patents they encumber. This is what the community has been asking for all along.

Yes, and we want a lot of other things too. The problem is with MS giving *partial* strategic information.

The good patents for technology they want to be spread will not be shown.

Same old same old.

>> All in all fairly useless for OSS - it essentially says that microsoft will not sue the hobbyist working in isolation, but the minute anyone tries to do something meaningful with this, ms will use the patent threat to extort payment.

That helps proprietary Linux companies (which can easily make deals with Microsoft at any point in time) since it puts up a wall towards competition with them.

The only problem is that FOSS devs are unlikely to go along.

It may still be good for commercial companies since they may think: OK, some will help out (to scratch itch or to fix upstream issues), but if most don't, we still have Linux corporations working along to keep Microsoft in check.

My problem with these interop docs is that they will be buggy and old by the time we get to them. It's trivial for Microsoft to make changes and hide key material. In some cases, they may help out. For the newer MS technology though I would not waste my time. The next Vista update (and even XP) will change a bunch of these rules and introduce a different set of bugs.

Raise you hand if you want interoperability. OK, well I think what you want is FOSS but perhaps don't know it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!