just make them easy to customize

Story: Free software menus reinventedTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
tuxchick

Feb 21, 2008
7:42 PM EDT
Heh, the article mentions Gnome not having a menu editor for five years. Gnome 1.x had a perfectly good one, but it didn't make it to 2.x. That was, if not the #1 most-requested feature, in the top five, but apparently the difficulty was of such magnitude that the Gnome devs grew faint and weary thinking about it, and had to take long rest breaks. Then a college student wrote the Alacarte menu editor for Gnome on his summer break, and got it included in Gnome 2.16 the same year. And that is the menu editor that Gnome uses now.

All of them are rehashes of the same old concept: organizing program icons. I don't see much room for creativity there, it's like librarians competing to see who can re-organize the Dewey Decimal System in newest, coolest way. Just make it easy for users to put things where we want and call it good. Kthx.
Steven_Rosenber

Feb 21, 2008
8:01 PM EDT
Alacarte's not working so well in Debian Lenny. I'm having trouble actually editing the menus with it. Works better in Ubuntu. The whole thing makes me appreciate Fluxbox, Fvwm and Xfce, which at least can be easily changed in a text editor.
thenixedreport

Feb 22, 2008
2:07 AM EDT
Justin has been trying to make a customized menu in Mint XFCE, and for some odd reason, the changes don't stay intact (in other words, changes are saved, then everything reverts to the initial scheme of things). When he told me that, I was like, "Huh....."

Quoting:Just make it easy for users to put things where we want and call it good. Kthx.

For once, we agree on something (looks up to make sure the world is not about to end).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!