favorite scripting language

Story: What is your favorite scripting language?Total Replies: 9
Author Content
herzeleid

Mar 02, 2008
3:24 PM EDT
I'd love to say perl, but lets be realistic - in terms of quantity, it would appear that my favorite scripting language is plain old bourne shell, just mind numbing scripts I write as typical sys admin tasks.

If I have an interesting problem, I turn to perl, but the ratio of interesting problems to every day grunt work automation is pretty low.

Abe

Mar 02, 2008
3:43 PM EDT
These stats are not very indicative. Although it could be used as a Command Line scripting language, its usefulness is more obvious in database based web services applications, and in spite of TC not liking it. :)

phsolide

Mar 02, 2008
6:37 PM EDT
It's worth taking a look at Script-o-meter: http://merd.sourceforge.net/pixel/language-study/scripting-l...

An attempt at an objective rating on scripting languages.

I don't know why we tolerate these silly "What's your favorite X?" poll. They're just flamebait. This case is typical: some non-ignorable fraction (> 10%) will not give up Perl. Another non-ignorable faction will like Python, and other fractions will like sh, awk,& etc. These polls also always include arguable entries. I personally would argue against including awk as a separate thing: it's definitely merely a part of shell scripting.

But you can see that with Script-o-meter, it's possible to rate these things. It's possible to do more-or-less objective ratings of almost all arguable things, but it's more profitable for consultants to advocate one thing (C#) over another, and provide your mega-corp with a costly "solution" to what should constitute a non-problem.
bigg

Mar 02, 2008
7:01 PM EDT
> it's possible to rate these things.

Of course you can rate programming languages. I do not, however, see how Script-o-meter can tell me anything useful about the language I should use for the tasks I do. There is an arbitrary set of criteria with an arbitrary set of weights. Take "compilation and execution in one command (20 points)". Where does the 20 points come from? What if I don't care that it takes more than one command?

Scripting languages are by their very nature designed to do many things. It is therefore impossible to rate them in a meaningful way.
jezuch

Mar 02, 2008
11:19 PM EDT
My favourite is TECO. Seriously. It just rocks :)
ColonelPanik

Mar 03, 2008
5:41 AM EDT
Kiddie
dinotrac

Mar 03, 2008
9:32 AM EDT
My favorite scripting language is English. It's the only language I've ever considered writing a screenplay in.
gus3

Mar 03, 2008
10:14 AM EDT
I write all my screenplays in Bash.

Which is why you've probably never heard of them.
hkwint

Mar 22, 2008
9:49 PM EDT
You were the one with those Christmas-slide screenplay gus? I heard of it! That screenplay was even covered at LXer ;)
tracyanne

Mar 22, 2008
11:02 PM EDT
I don't write screen plays on principle. I use paper.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!